Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to CAI (where to cut)

hN!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03
How to CAI (where to cut?) [Update, Complete]

Hey guys, I have heard of people cutting a hole in the standard air box to use as a cai without using pipes I know there is the stock pipe but it is up high Im just curious is to where the best place would be to cut it and how big/small or is it even worth doing. Some pics would give me a good idea if there are any around. Thanks!

Last edited:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Without using pipes will not be that effective unless there's a heat blocking wall running next to the box blocking the engine's heat! Otherwise the heat from the engine will just come in the air box!

Just go down to bunnings, get a small piece of 90mm pipe, a 90mm 90 degree elbow, some plumbers cement and some selleys no more gaps or whatever. Should cost no more than $20 all up and you'll be able to take air from right behind the headlights and keep it looking fairly stock. Oh, and if you want some black spray paint to spray the white pipe and match it to the air box! :p

That's the setup i'll be doing in my VY, so when i do get around to it i'll take photos for you.

hN!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03
Thanks for the info I will be checking out the setup tomorrow to see what i can do using your tips ;) Just in the process of polishing her at the moment :>

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
LOL, if your looking at doing that then yea, the hole that will need to be put in the airbox will be between the bits of plastic that come "out" of the air box (dont know how to explain but you'll see them on the outside. You will need to remove the air box to get everything in there and you'll hardly see it!

hN!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03
My CAI complete

delete thread

Last edited: