Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fluted guards on a VY SS

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Black VY SS + 1999 Silver VT Olympic Sedan
Hi all,

I would say that this has been asked or covered somewhere on the forum but could someone tell me if the VZ SS Fluted guards are the same as the VY SS guards before I order a set off VZ guards to fit to my VYSS.

I have a set of HSV Flutes I was going to get my panel beater to fit up but he has suggested I get a set of VZ Fluted guards as it will make the job a hell of a lot easier.

Any help would be great as I have been told there maybe slight differences in the two guards - besides the obvious cut outs for flutes hehehe.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I'd be surprised if there were differences, but can't say for sure.

Either way though, can't be that hard to cut a hole in the guards and stick the flutes in there can it? Sure would be cheaper I'd think...

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
i was just looking on ebay for someone else that wants to do this for their VZ and its cheaper to buy the gaurds with the holes already cut in them.
the flute templates that you weld in are $330 plus the fultes themselves.
a gaurd can be had for less than $150 with the hole already done.
not sure either if VZ and VY gaurds are the same.

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Black VY SS + 1999 Silver VT Olympic Sedan
Yep, I looked at the same options and buying the guards is a better way to go but just need to confirm they are the same before I push the buy it now button?

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Im 90% sure that the angle where the headlights meet the qtr panels are different meaning they won't fit. Check some side on photos of a vy and a vz to see the angle

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The simple way to work this out is to find out if the standard, non-fluted VZ guard has the same part number as its VY equivalent. The only place they would vary would be the headlight opening - all other adjacent panels use the same mounting points and have the same shut-lines.

If the standard VY and VZ guards have the same part numbers, then the VZ SS guards will be a bolt on.

So, has anybody fitted a standard VZ guard to their VY, or vice versa, or does anybody have the part numbers for the two models?

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
5945-2003-Holden-VY.jpg

imgp3810bbea5.jpg

compare the angle of the headlights

Last edited by a moderator:

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
as far am i am aware its the bumper section that is different due to the headlights being different i.e the vy having the parker at the bottom and the vz being straight at the bottom.

yeh would be a lot cheaper to buy the gaurds.

that vz looks sick, iv seen a black ve recently with the same dragon on it and dragon badges instead of holden badges around the south east suburbs.