Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY 3.8 ecotech or VZ 3.6 alloytech??

VYfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 04 II 3.8
I have to admit I am not up to speed with the exact specifications and in's and out's of engines but I did work in sales for a Holden dealership for about 6 months a few years ago on the used car side.

The latest used Commodores when I got there were VY's so I was always driving VY's and VX's around and just loved both of them. Obvioulsy the VY was a little more refined but basically the same donk underneath so no great difference there. But just before I left some VZ's started coming into the yard and the last car I drove was a VZ and clearly remember a noticable difference in the performance. It was noticably slower off the mark and the accelerator felt much heavier.

The bloke that came home with me to take the car back was one of the used car buyers and he pointed out it was the new 3.6 alloytech motor which I wasn't aware of. A mate of mine has a car cleaning business where he cleans corporate and govt cars so he is always moving them around and he noiticed the difference between the VY 3.8 and the VZ 3.6 also. But he says the VE's are like going from **** to sugar compared with the VZ's.

So when I decided to buy myself a Commodore recently I was deteremined to get a VY rather than a VZ for that very reason though I probably could have got a VZ with much lower k's for around the same price. My uncle has a VZ and my old man reckons they are a better motor than the VY. He didn't say more power but he said the 3.8 is a push rod motor.

So I am hoping to hear what others have to say. I must admit I have only driven the one VZ so maybe there was a bit of a problem with that one. From memory it had only done about 15 000 km's.

There must be plenty of owners out there that have owned both so I am interested to hear what you have to say and also from the more technically able on what the exact differences are? I presume the 3.8 ecotech has cast iron heads and the 3.6 alloytech has alloy heads but apart from that?????

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
from what most people say the alloytec has more top end power and torque over the ecotec

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Why don't you get a SS with the 5.7?

Not too much of a difference in fuel / running costs over either of the 6's, and power you will never get from a 6 unless you basically turbo or supercharge.

I was in this dilemma months ago, and ended up going for the LS1.

Im very glad I did.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
The ecotec's are starting to get outdated, but still a good engine to work with. Ur best to head towards a Alloytech as they are a new & more powerful engine.
Thats coming from a VZ SV6 owner, a VY owner will tell u otherwise!

MEANVY

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Omega
Yup, i will!

The VZ seem slower accelerating than my VY. But nothing a calais supercharger wouldn't fix.

I went with the VY cos i love the shape, especially the front as opposed to the VZ.
The tear drop headlights are also sexier than the VZ ones. The VZ lights look unfinished in my opinion....

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Why don't you get a SS with the 5.7?

Not too much of a difference in fuel / running costs over either of the 6's, and power you will never get from a 6 unless you basically turbo or supercharge.

I was in this dilemma months ago, and ended up going for the LS1.

Im very glad I did.

i 2nd the motion skip the V6's and for around the same money get a VY SS....
or 5.7l Berlina.....

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
One of the reaons that the Alloytec is so sluggish (I believe) is due to the absolute crap diff ratio, its like 2.87:1 . My brother has a SV6 and of the line its nothing special, but at 6500RPM it goes hard as. Try getting at least 3.45:1 in the back and I believe the VZ would feel pretty bloody good. Having said that the fuel bill would probably go up a fair bit.

But I will agree....GO THE V8

Oh and I'm a Ecotec owner.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yup, i will!

The VZ seem slower accelerating than my VY. But nothing a calais supercharger wouldn't fix.

I went with the VY cos i love the shape, especially the front as opposed to the VZ.
The tear drop headlights are also sexier than the VZ ones. The VZ lights look unfinished in my opinion....

Thought u mite:p,

Thats cause the VZ's have electronic throttle, therefore there is a slight delay in accelaration.
I agree diff ratios in the SV6 could be better.

asap88

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp
The ecotec's are starting to get outdated, but still a good engine to work with. Ur best to head towards a Alloytech as they are a new & more powerful engine.
Thats coming from a VZ SV6 owner, a VY owner will tell u otherwise!

In your case yes the 190kw alloytech in the sv6 shits all over the old 3.8. But how does the smaller alloytech go compared the the old eco? Imo unless you like to drive in the upper rev range where the alloytech makes its power stick with the older motor pulls alot better down low and has somthing alot of ppl overlook Torque.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
In your case yes the 190kw alloytech in the sv6 shits all over the old 3.8. But how does the smaller alloytech go compared the the old eco? Imo unless you like to drive in the upper rev range where the alloytech makes its power stick with the older motor pulls alot better down low and has somthing alot of ppl overlook Torque.

All i can say, my dad had a VZ station wagon ne says its not that quick off the line but then again he carrys alot of equipment in the back of the car.

Yeah, touque down low in the Alloytech 190 isnt something to write home about.