Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems with fuel gauge

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
Hi guys,

Last Thursday evening I filled up a complete tank in my VY II S. I had about a quarter of a tank prior to filling up.

After driving for about 15 - 20 minutes, I noticed that my fuel gauge had barely gone up - it had reached about 1/2 way. It wasn't until a good 45 minutes later did it actually make it's way up to the 'Full' point. Now, the problem is, it won't leave that point. It appears although I have a full tank of petrol all the time. I wouldn't be complaining if that was actually the case, heh.
The trip computer says I have 300~km remaining in the tank, which obviously isn't a full tank.

I done some searching around this forum and noticed that this was a known issue for the VX, but not so much for the VY. A lot of people have said that the best solution is a new Fuel Sender Unit for around $500.
Are there any cheaper solutions that anyone knows of? Anything I can check before having to fork out that kind of coin? And if it does come to coughing up the cash, where would be the best place to get one of these?

Thanks guys. Most appreciated.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
there are quite a few problems with the vy fuel gauge and a few ppl on here have had that problem apparently u can go to holden and they will give u an update which should fix the problem

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
Thanks for the info.

Will Holden give me the update even though my car is out of warranty?

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
not sure mate sorry theyll still give it to u lol at a price

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Mate, i have had the same problem. Basically i filled up before going on a 6hr drive, and it took 1-2 hours for the gauge to go from near empty to full. It has only happened once and when i filled up again worked fine and has worked fine since. Drive it a bit and fill up, and hopefully it should fix itself =)

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
Thanks a lot mate. I'll see how it goes over the week. :)

Does anyone know how accurate the trip computer is?

pepstar87

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SSV M6
Not very.
Depends on how you drive it, if its more city stop-start driving, freeway driving or a bit of both..and obviously how much you put your right foot down.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
dont listen to the trip lol mine seems pretty close but from what ive heard it can be miles out