Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS Ute "trap speed" on dash screen

LRyder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi Guys,

While driving I push both the up and down arrow at the same time and it brings up a screen showing "trap speed _ _" and when you press "set" it shows you the exact speed at which you press it. I previously had and SV6 sedan and I'm pretty sure it didn't have that.

Just interested in why there is this option, or if it does anything else.

Cheers.

Paul.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
its part of whats called "police mode" on VZ which is activated through tech 2.

In the VY you need to activate "Police mode' to give you the digital speedo readout, it also activates "trap speed" but you lose the speed alert feature (that beeps when you reach whatever speed you've set)

In the VZ you need to activate "Police mode" to get the trap speed feature, but you lose the radio display info on the left side of the screen (like CD1 - Track 1)

Trap speed was a pretend toy Holden threw in with the theory police will use it to follow you, press the button to lock in the speed, and show you later when they stop you (like they do on a radar).Only issue is that will never hold up in court, so its more a matter of "look what Holden could do" opposed to it being something useful.

I didn't think the ute's had this standard, I'm pretty sure someone with Tech 2 needs to activate it because police mode isn't activated on any car from factory, it needs to be done later (like at commissioning time of a cop car when its having its lights, sirens and sticker pack put on)

hope this helps

LRyder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks mate that was a helpfull. Yeh my SS ute is an ex cop car, so would explain why. It was a thunder ute but had no hard top or leather seats either, was like a one off from factory as far as I know. But explains alot. Cheers !

roy38

Reaction score
Members Ride
thunder
no it wasnt

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
if its an ex cop ute then that explains why its activated! It only takes 30 seconds with tech 2 to turn on and off.

SS ute isnt what you normally associate as being a cop car, but Ive seen weirder things like Peugeots :beer chug:

LRyder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
if its an ex cop ute then that explains why its activated! It only takes 30 seconds with tech 2 to turn on and off.

SS ute isnt what you normally associate as being a cop car, but Ive seen weirder things like Peugeots :beer chug:

Yeh well as far as I know the previous owner had advised me that it was, and he purchased it at the end of its lease at auction. Holden have confirmed it was, as there were no log books when I purchased it and I wanted to make sure it had a service history.

St_Gabriel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 914 pack
So if I get a dash changed from police mode (914 pack), i no longer have the digital speed readout. Hmm maybe i wont get the dash cluster made normal, I really like the digital readout

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
sorry didnt see this til now!

Your dash cluster in the VZ has the digital readout no matter what, it was only VY that had them switch off in "normal mode" and on in "police mode". If you go back to 'normal' mode it just means you'll get radio info in the left corner of the LCD screen, like TRK 3 (track 3 on CD) or FM2 104.9 (ie fm preset station 2 which is 104.9fm) although this is displayed on your radios LCD anyway, but you'll lose the trap speed feature.

So

VY Standard mode = NO digital speedo
VY Police mode = digital speedo, trap speed feature.

VZ Standard mode - digital speedo, radio info displayed in left corner of cluster LCD panel.
VZ Police mode = digital speedo, no radio info displayed in cluster LCD panel, Trap Speed feature.