Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ignition barrel wont turn

scud3805

Reaction score
Hi hope someone can shed some light on my problem when i put the key in the ignition it will not turn to enable me to start the car .I have wrench the steering wheel from side to side and no luck even made sure i have the right keys (as i have two VZ utes) anyone had this issue before Thanks

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
yes just recently, was in a carpark with a hammer and chisel taking off the ignition barrel. had some natives park next to me they saw what i was doing and moved their car away from me.
try to turn the key and wheel at the same time and make sure the center pops out after you take out the key. slap sum crc down it also

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
ignitionbarrel.jpg

ignitionbarrel2.jpg

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
Yes had the same thing happen to me a month ago. Worked the steering wheel and key with no joy.

My mate down at Holden said to shoot some graphite dust into it, reinsert the key & give the remote end of the key a solid tap with the palm of your hand. Worked for me.

It is a sign of wear in the barrel, but doing this you can get it to turn. Work the graphite dust in.

scud3805

Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied i did get it going the graphite dust and crc and a screwdriver and hammer all must of helped thanks for the diagram it will help for when replace the barrel as it must be worn Thanks again

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Really you need to replace the barrel.

Not a hard job but you do need to code the new barrel to your key.

scud3805

Reaction score
Gday mate getting the new barrel coded to my key? can i just go to a locksmith or to a holden dealer

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Gday mate getting the new barrel coded to my key? can i just go to a locksmith or to a holden dealer

Either, see whos cheaper :)

scud3805

Reaction score
Hi Spoo1in The diagram that you supplied for the ignition barrel refers to disable the air bag Re: section 12m, 2.2 system enabling&disabling procedures would you know if just disconnecting battery earth lead would be adequate?? or would you have the airbag procedure that i could view it would be greatly appreciated as i dont want the airbag to go off while im working on the ignition barrel Thanks Scud

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You should dc the battery anyways to avoid accidental cranking of the engine.

Can also pull the SRS fuse for added piece of mind.