Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is VZ 1st gen alloytec better than VY, VYII ecotec?

Cheese

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Equipe
Looking at trading in the VS today for a VY or VZ...

Was telling my mechanic last night that I'm looking at a VZ and he said if it was him he'd look at a VY instead as the VY was the last model with the Ecotec engine and the VZ is the first with the Alloytec.

He reckons the VY chews a bit more fuel but the engine is almost bulletproof, while the VZ is better on fuel economy but there can be issues if it isn't serviced regularly, such as the timing chain stretching etc...

Thoughts?

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
Alloytec is more powerful but must be taken care services so if your slack with maintenance get the ecotec. I prefer the alloytec!!

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I've driven both for at least 3 months each. A VZ Lumina and a VX S pack. I found that the ecotec has earlier power delivery, but not the top end that the alloytec does. The alloytec is a more refined motor.

I wouldnt call an ecotec bulletproof, but because its been around for agggeess and parts are found pretty easily. Hell ive heard of these motors being sold for $200 at some salvage yards.

And with services, its the same as any motor. **** will break if you dont look after it :) Its not like your planning on NOT servicing it right? lol

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
hello cheese,

I have owned both for a while now, each has it's pros and cons, both for me have been reliable, have only done an oil pressure sensor ($60) on the alloytec, on the vy I had we touched nothing, both cars are/where at 160 000, so they are both a good engine for me.

I think if you are looking at an auto go the alloytec 190 with the 5 speed, it's a great combo, however if you are after a manual I have found that they ecotec to be the nicer engine to have when putting around town as the alloytec does not feel very comfortable below 1500 rpm.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
some things on the alloytech are not as easy to fix yourself.. like having to take the intake manifold off to get to plugs, or the thermostat housing bolted to the rear of the engine to name a few. I've never owned an older commodore though :)

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
I think the alloytech is the most horrible sounding 6 of any car I've ever heard. It sounds like someone farting with their mouth in an empty baker bean can..
Jus' sayin'..

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I think the alloytech is the most horrible sounding 6 of any car I've ever heard. It sounds like someone farting with their mouth in an empty baker bean can..
Jus' sayin'..

I agree mate, depends what u want man, plenty more mods for the ecotec and it sounds better, or u can go the more refined smoother alloytec, better fuel ect

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Ecotec much much more forgiving to poor servicing. also feels a lot torquier.

Alloytec is OK if its had good service history otherwise very prone to sludging.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Ive owned both. Used to have a VU with the ecotec and now have a VZ with the 190 alloytec (both autos). Neither is bad as such but yeah if I could go back Id prob buy a VY S pac instead of buying the SV6. As mentioned above the alloytec's arent that great sounding, and are prone to timing chain issues and sludging if not serviced properly which can make buying a used one iffy. I was lucky and got one that only had 1 owner and full service history. Be iffy of ones with no history though. The alloytecs can really get up and go, without question, but not til you get the rev's right up high, which can be annoying (to me anyway as I dont like revving the **** outta my car the get it really moving). The ecotec sounds 10000 times better, and just 'feels' punchier. But the alloytec has amazing fuel economy and has a much smoother feel to it.