Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what engine oil to use?

super6vt1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII L67 Calais A4
hey guys just bought a vz sv6

what engine oil best to you use for a sv6 with 99,000, will be changine it at 100,000 kms?

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/engine-oils/hpr/hpr_5_full_synthetic

Also while you are at it, change over the oil filter.

Drain coolant, flush with water if you don't know what's in it, top back up with good coolant, I use concentrate.

Change fuel filter, you will need a special key, tool type thing to detach filter from hoses. Replace wipers.

Pretty easy basic service there.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Best advice, refer to Owners Handbook and stick with their recommendations, guaranteed not to fail or cause engine damage. Probably any brand 5W-30 A3/B4

super6vt1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII L67 Calais A4
yeh ill have a look at the owners manual, i know how to service it but dont have time so getting a mobile mechanic that my dads friends with to do it, ive got a max ellereys repairs manual from when i had my supercharged6 vt and that covers from vt-vz.

pau13z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6L
Holden recommends 5W 30 for the Alloytec.

Engine oils come in varying grades, mainly depending on what the engine does and the age. Engines now are much more compact and have smaller gaps between components. Oil pressure does not tell you if the pump is working, it tells you the resistance of oil flow between the components. Putting thicker oil in an engine designed for thinner oil means the oil won't flow the way it should through the engine. More modern engines are designed with smaller clearances between internal components, and require the thinner oils. Using thicker oils in an engine like the Alloytec means the oil pressure will be too high, and you can do damage to the oil pump, other internal components, and gaskets that have the increased pressure may blow.

For all the people that recommend using thicker oils - In most cases, the people who write the manuals and design the engines are much smarter than you or I, so listen to them! Lol.

super6vt1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII L67 Calais A4
thanks for that pau13z, so what brands offer a 5W30 oil?

super6vt1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII L67 Calais A4
**** thats stuffs pretty pricey, 70 bucks for 5litre bottle, need 6.5 so gonna cost me 110 for oil :\ thtas a 5 litre and 2 1 litres, any other good oils ive seen people use some mobil one?

alright well just check on supercheap auto for all of the 5W 30, is castrol edge the best one ?

pau13z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6L
As far as I'm aware, the best oils are Shell, Castrol, and Penrite. I've never used Penrite personally, but I've used both Castrol and Shell, and they're both great. Shell is a bit more expensive though. You're best off waiting till Repco or Supercheap have sales, you'll find one of them will discounted quite a lot.