Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Ute water in side rail in chassis under passenger door

homeball

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Has anybody had an issue with water getting into the side rail under the passenger door, after driving in heavy rain? I have ripped the carpet out, seat. and all of the lining on the passenger side. The water does not drain at all from this cavity, and I have no idea if there is a drain for it. Eventually, the water fills up this cavity, and spills over to the floor well, while taking corners, braking and accelerating. Water does get into the aireal cavity, but that water drains out of a hole just under the front left wheel arch. Is that supposed to be the case?
photo.JPG

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
There's a few drain hoses that channel water from the load compartment (2) and from the base of the rear window (2). They snake down through the compartment under the floor of the tray where the fuel tank is and should poke out through holes under the car.
If a hose has moved and is sending water into the cavity in front of your rear wheels it fills that cavity you're having trouble with and ends up under the carpets.
May not be the cause of your problem, but something to check.....

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
This is usually a problem with sedans with sunroofs. Drains block, or come out. Should be a drain at the rear of that panel underneath. Wont be a big one, may just need a bit of wire to unblock it.

homeball

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
There is 2 drains, behind the rear of the cab underneath the car, near the fuel tank. One is an inch corrugated tube, the other is a 1/2 inch pvc hose. Both seem to be clear, i managed to get an entire wire coat hanger up the 1/2 inch pvc hose.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm going from memory but pretty sure there are a total of four drain hoses. Two of the smaller diameter ones (one from each side of the base of the rear window) and two of the big corrugated ones that drain each of the holes in the floor of the load compartment.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Yep thats all they do,has nothing to do with draining sill.Are you sure the gromets are in the sill.Remove plastic sills from outside and you,ll see all you need as to what and where the water is (pooling)-so to speak.Are the rubbers on the door and sill intact/not torn/missing.Have someone sit in the car and hose around the area

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just make sure the two hoses you haven't found yet are exiting out through the holes in the bottom of the ute and not into the internal cavity of your ute's side panel.

homeball

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
I think I can rule the two hoses either side out as not the issue, all 4 are clear. The rubber on the sill is damaged ever so slightly, just a small bit of the rubber has been pinched and come away. Would that be the cause of the problem, I have soaked up to a litre of water, after a 2 hour trip to see family.

homeball

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
While driving, I did notice water streaming past the top of the passenger window, as if the water is purposely channeled to that area of the window, so I think maybe the water maybe getting in through the side quater panel, as the seal around the top is not stuck to the panel like it is the rest of the way around. i wil reseal this seal and see how she goes. If not, i will try a weathershield. :D. Thanks for the tips fellas.