Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Wheels on a VZ..

Capt Baldman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon
I have just up-graded from a VN to a VZ Wagon....LOVE IT....however, i'd like to put VE Wheels on it...either SS or Calais wheels.
Now i am aware you have to rebore the centre hub of the VE wheel to fit the VZ, but then i recently came across the following...
Holden has told its dealers that the new VE model's wheels won't fit old Commodores.

Holden VE Commodore: production line at the Elizabeth factory in Adelaide.
When Holden introduced the all-new VE Commodore in August it changed some crucial dimensions of the wheel-locating system. This was done to avoid confusion on the production line (as the Holden factory will be building both new and old models for some time yet) and to cope with the new Commodore's extra weight, width and grip levels.

Holden sent the following statement to Drive on Wednesday: "Fitting VE wheels onto a VZ [or earlier model Commodore] is not recommended or condoned by GM Holden as it raises some safety concerns as there are two major differences in the wheels."

Holden said the VE Commodore has 14mm wheel studs and earlier Commodores have 12mm wheel studs.

"If a VE wheel were fitted onto a VZ [or earlier model Commodore] there is a concern that there would not be enough bearing area under the retention nut on the aluminium wheel, which, worse case scenario, means the wheel could potentially fall off."

Anyone care to comment or know any different...!!
Ta

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
baiscly they the saying they dont recommend you do it, but everyone does and i have never heard of a problem from it.

vinnycol

Reaction score
You want to be careful. In the event of an accident, insurance companies look for any way out of paying a claim. Unapproved wheels means unroadworthy vehicle which equals potential insurance issues....
good luck.

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
Check with your insurance company first.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
There a few guys on these forums that have fitted VE rims to there cars.
HoldenmanDan has fitted VE SS-V rims to his VS Berlina & Torquative has fitted VE SS/SV6 rims to his VZ Acclaim.

Going by what these guys have done, i dont think you'll have any problems.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
yeh been running mine now for almost 60 000 kays no issue :thumbsup:

jet-6

Yer im that guy!
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SX6 ADVENTRA
I had brake clearance issues with VE SSV's and a VZ Adventra

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
I have exact replicas of the 20" VE supersports.
Worked out far cheaper than buying originals and getting them machined..

Capt Baldman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon
Speaking to a "Tyre Power" bloke today, he understands you can now get wider (VZ) 12mm wheel studs, that suit the (VE) wheels....anyone know or heard of this...

OBR1EN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
I got VE SS V wheels on mine had them for eight months or so and no probs what so ever they havent "fallen off yet". Just Holden protecting themselves if something does for some reason go wrong. Any off the VE wheels would look good on a VZ whether Calais, SS, SSV or the Super sports alloys. :thumbsup: