Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need Help Choosing Amp!!!

R

Rossgo79

Hey Guys,
Just need a bit of direction in what amp I should get. I have been looking around but it all seems too confusing for me. One amp says rms, another is bridged. Don't really have an idea what it all means so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The amp will be for running 2 12' JL Audio subs.
Have a spare amp (which is a small kicker amp ) for 6x9's when I get them.

Cheers

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Go into Jaycar near you and tell them your setup and they will recommend the best ReSponse amp. They will have one that will suit your needs. Because they are not a dedicated car audio store and they all are really good guys they will be upfront and straight to the point with you.

R

Rossgo79

Thanks for your help 12 volt king. I went into jaycar and they pointed me to the right amp for the job. A little issue arouse, as I said I don't know a hell of a lot about this car audio stuff.

The subs I have are oldish and from what I understand is that nominal impedence is 12 ohms. Should I just chuck these out and get newer & better ones? I dont want a massive sound system just something to fill the bass a bit in car. The rating of subs are 125 wrms and amp i 2x150 wrms for $249.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Oldish? With 12Ohm nominal impedance they must be close on 20-30 years old! Go back to Jaycar and ask about their subwoofers....they own above all for their price ;)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Ok, you will need to wire them up in parralel to acheive a 6ohm impedance.

Then you need an amp that will give approx 250Wrms into 6ohms.

The Jaycar monoblock will give you approx 300wrms into 6 ohms. Although not ideal it would certainly do the job. http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=595

The 4 channel here will provide approx 265Wrms into 6ohms per CHANNEL this is too much. http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=595

Although the 4 channel is much cheaper....the monoblock will be better suited.

R

Rossgo79

Thanks for the help but am I better off just chucking them out and go get newer subs?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Nah, they are decent subs... You've just got the model that was meant to be run in sets of 3.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Like Stone said..they are good subs, they are designed to be run in groups of three to provide a 4 ohm load. But, there is absolutly nothing wrong with running them at 6ohms and they will sound just as good and just as loud. The lower impedance subs don't go harder...they just easier to setup and generally require a smaller amp then then 12ohm model. Thats all. It's no big deal.

R

Rossgo79

thanks for the help guys!!! Have been very helpful.

I'm now off ot buy myself a mono block from jaycar. Then comes the part of wiring it up without destroying my car lol