Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it ok to run a thermo constantly

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
hey guys my thermo only kicks in some times ive tested it and it run perfectly off straight power. So i was wondering if it would be ok to run it directly off an acc power source so its constantly on,,of course ill fuse it and relay it but will it be fine for a quick fix until i get paid i have done it before on my vp and it ran fine for 2 years.. so will it be ok

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
keep an eye on engine temps, engine may run too cool (particularly in winter) - which isn't good for the engine or fuel economy.
it should be ok for a temporary fix, but I wouldn't leave it like that a long period of time. Get it fixed asap.

VK_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V6
The only way the engine can run too cool is if you remove the (water) thermostat, the fans have no effect on the minimum temp. That said its still not ideal and the lifetime of the fans will likely be quite reduced, but it will be OK for a stopgap solution if necessary.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Like said above it will reduce the life of the fans. Also I would recommend using an in-cabin switch instead of always on.

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
hey guys my thermo only kicks in some times ive tested it and it run perfectly off straight power. So i was wondering if it would be ok to run it directly off an acc power source so its constantly on,,of course ill fuse it and relay it but will it be fine for a quick fix until i get paid i have done it before on my vp and it ran fine for 2 years.. so will it be ok

might be a stupid question- but you do know there only ment to kick in somethings dont ya??? if it get's above a certain temp it will switch on, then gets under a certain temp and switches off till gets hot enough.............. unless ya want them on constantly for some other reason..

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
yeah i kno its gotta come one at a certain temp but i gotta get a radiator and water pump next fornight i think as it some time sit on half driving,,,other on quater ive bleed it and everything im goin to try a thermo stat today from my vs down stairs its only a couple f weeks old and if that help then yay if not i have no i idea what to do

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
The only way the engine can run too cool is if you remove the (water) thermostat, the fans have no effect on the minimum temp. That said its still not ideal and the lifetime of the fans will likely be quite reduced, but it will be OK for a stopgap solution if necessary.

not correct....
the thermostat only reduces the coolant circulation to the radiator when the engine is under it's opening temp, the idea being to bring the engine up to running temp as fast as possible
However if it's a cold winters day, and your fan is blowing constantly at your engine, the engine coolant temp may not go beyond 60 degrees C, well under the thermostat opening temp - which is too cool. The thermostat is still shut, but the engine fan is continuing to blow directly at the engine, shifting heat from the engine, preventing it from building up temperature.

Last edited:

VK_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V6
Sorry but there is no way that external air flow over the engine will keep the temperature down. There is usually a small bleed/bypass which allows some coolant to pass through even with a closed thermostat but this will not stop the engine getting up to temp. Use the biggest baddest radiator cooling system you like, the engine will still get up to temp and if it doesn't then something is wrong with the thermostat.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
^ Agreed, the engine will always get up to temp. The engine is generating a LOT of heat due to the inefficiency of the internal combustion engine and that heat has to go somewhere, and while a fair chuck goes out the exhaust, enough will be absorbed by the block, heads, and rotating assembly.