Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Footwell LED's

Juzman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 M6
Hey guys,

I'm looking to wire up some LED's to the foot well and under the seats in my SV8. I was considering just tapping into the interior light so when you unlock / open doors they turn on with the interior light then considered wiring them to a switch instead. I figured since I wouldn't be driving around with the LED's on it is a wiser option to have it hooked up to only come on when I unlock car / open doors e.t.c. but then figured if I had a switch I can turn them on and off at will.

Has anyone wired up foot well LED's or neons, and which options did you choose / why?

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
I have mine wired up to the interior light switch, looks good.

Cost me about $100 all up to get them wired in by my auto electrician inc cost of the leds.

Cheers and good luck with the install

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Juzman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 M6
I have mine wired up to the interior light switch, looks good.

Cheers and good luck with the install

I was thinking of doing that, but if I can just tap into the wiring in the A Pillar and run cabling under scuff pads it would be a 15 minute job (no soldering, just clip adapters from JayCar), and will only cost ~$50 for the LED's and clips. :)

When I get around to it will let you know how it goes.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
It's been done to death on here. There is heaps of good info. Try a Google custom search of the forums.
Cheers.

Juzman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 M6
Scotch Locks?

Not sure if that's what they're called, JayCar call them Contact Connecters. Can check them out here.

It's been done to death on here. There is heaps of good info. Try a Google custom search of the forums.
Cheers.

Yeah, I've looked at all the info and am going to wire it to the courtesy light. My question was more so why people choose courtesy light or switch. ;)

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I'm considering doing this myself also, but was thinking amount slightly modding the sunglasses holder and adding another separate switch so i can choose to either run the Footwell LEDs via the courtesy lights or turn it on separately, the other switch will act as a bypass more so than anything, if its on, the LEDs are on all the time, if its off, they are controlled along with the courtesy lights/switch.

My only issue is trying to find a switch that do what i want, eg. cut off the power coming from the courtesy lights switch when this switch is on the 'on' position as i don't want the chance of both switches providing power to the LEDs at the same time and frying them or something worse, etc.

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Hook it up to the ignition barrel lighting to save pulling trim off

Juzman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 M6
I'm considering doing this myself also, but was thinking amount slightly modding the sunglasses holder and adding another separate switch so i can choose to either run the Footwell LEDs via the courtesy lights or turn it on separately.

I was thinking of doing this too, but was unsure on how to go about it / where to mount switch in VY.

Hook it up to the ignition barrel lighting to save pulling trim off

I didn't even think about this, thanks for that idea! (I guess I will still need to pull trim off to get wiring over to passenger side), or is there enough gap up near firewall? I haven't had a good look as of yet.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
My red front ones come on with the headlights but I have a switch on them too. Also have some in the back, on with ignition, seperate switch. I put seperate white LEDs in the front footwells that come on with doors.
Etc, etc small ones which give a dim glow in the console, small white LED in sunny holder,blah blah.
The main thing is being able to switch off the main ones when you need to.