Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another LED footwell lighting thread - couldnt find what i was looking for

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
so before you go and say have a search etc etc, i did some searching :)

i just don't know where exactly to put them? do they go on that black plastic thing that clips off?

i do want them to turn on when i open the doors and when you un lock the car (if that is even posible?) like when the roof light turns on

i don't know where exactly the turn on wire is, somewhere under the drivers scuff plate i've read? where is that? also something about the negative being the turn on instead of the usual positive? please elaborate more

wiring up is easy, its just which wire is it and where i do not know. i didnt really want switches for them.

one other question, with sticking them somewhere, something like this should be fine yeah?> 30cm White 12 LED Flexible Neon Strip Light for Car or Van | eBay would i also be able to stick them somewhere under the rear seats?

if some ppls can come up with strait up answers or even help me out through pm, would be much appreciated.

thanks guys

i'm 2 noob with cars -.-

Last edited:

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
did this the other day in my ute mate

yes the easiest wires to pick up from are in under the door scuff plates, and if you connect to right ones they will come on the same times as the interior light comes on

and yes you need to find the constant + cable and the switched - cable, if your willing to wait a bit when i get a chance i can pull mine apart and check which colour wires they are, but you will need a test light just to double check them

the strip you posted should be right mate, just get the + and - wires right, and if it doesnt stick the first time you may need to put some heavy duty glue or super glue on the strips

hope that helps you out if ive missed something let me know mate

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
did this the other day in my ute mate

yes the easiest wires to pick up from are in under the door scuff plates, and if you connect to right ones they will come on the same times as the interior light comes on

and yes you need to find the constant + cable and the switched - cable, if your willing to wait a bit when i get a chance i can pull mine apart and check which colour wires they are, but you will need a test light just to double check them

the strip you posted should be right mate, just get the + and - wires right, and if it doesnt stick the first time you may need to put some heavy duty glue or super glue on the strips

hope that helps you out if ive missed something let me know mate

thank you very much for the reply, i havnt brought them yet so i wont be doing it for a while anyway, and instead of using a test light, i can use a voltmeter? should show voltage when the doors open, ha use the led strip as a test light :p

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I too would be greatfull to have wiring colour info given for a VZ, the constant +, constant - and - that triggers when door opened/unlocked so far my searches have also come back with nothing.

In the VZ, the interior lights can be triggered from either door open/unlock or constantly on if you use the switch to the other direction, like most lights.

This goes off after the BCM times out that circuit.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
If I get a chance tomorrow morning before work I'll dig up the cables I connected to and post a pic up

I connected to constant + and interior light - so that my LEDs come on whenever the interior light or key ring light come on

I also put in a three way switch (CONSTANT ON - OFF - ON WITH INTERIOR LIGHT) on the negative cable and the constant on is achieved just by wiring the negative wire to a ground in the chassis, because the interior light always has power at it regardless of key position

If you check out my ride thread there is a couple pics on the LEDS

But like I said if I have time tomorrow I'll take some pics tomorrow and if need be I'll draw up a wiring diagram

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
If I get a chance tomorrow morning before work I'll dig up the cables I connected to and post a pic up

I connected to constant + and interior light - so that my LEDs come on whenever the interior light or key ring light come on

I also put in a three way switch (CONSTANT ON - OFF - ON WITH INTERIOR LIGHT) on the negative cable and the constant on is achieved just by wiring the negative wire to a ground in the chassis, because the interior light always has power at it regardless of key position

If you check out my ride thread there is a couple pics on the LEDS

But like I said if I have time tomorrow I'll take some pics tomorrow and if need be I'll draw up a wiring diagram

thanks for that mate, i dont think i want a switch lying around so il just have mine come on with interior lights :)

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Is there any way to set this kind of thing to come on when your headlights turn on?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
most definatly :)

Nic92 u can get a factory looking switch if u dont want a tacky 1 laying around and wire that u?. sits right behind the power windows switch block that replaces that small rubber coin tray, some models can have their trac switch in there with it (switches look identicle 2 these). that way u can wire it up 2 have both options.