Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another LED footwell lighting thread - couldnt find what i was looking for

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
Cool, did you install a switch or so, so they can be switched off if needed? (eg. if getting out of the car around police)

Nah just off the unlock/door open circuit. I have to fix the rear right strip as I blew 2 fuses this afternoon due to some of the strands of wire at one of the led strips coming loose and shorting on the other contact.

I will post pics of my wiring when I get a chance.

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
Yeah True. I got pulled over in a supermarket carpark at night for blue numberplate lights (got off). They didn't say anything bout my footwell lights or even the uv behind the grill. In fact the copper thought the one behind the grill was cool. Mind you it comes on when the headies come on but i can switch it off too.

I got pulled over for my first time about a month ago (been on my P's for 2years) just for a license check and I also have blue number plate lights but he didn't say a single thing about it.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I got pulled over for my first time about a month ago (been on my P's for 2years) just for a license check and I also have blue number plate lights but he didn't say a single thing about it.
Strange coz the law states the lights have to be clear. eg. White. Must have just been lucky or the cop liked your car. HAHA

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
Strange coz the law states the lights have to be clear. eg. White. Must have just been lucky or the cop liked your car. HAHA

Yeah man! I also read that they can't be flashing which may be why he didn't ask.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Yeah man! I also read that they can't be flashing which may be why he didn't ask.

Yeah, maybe. It's a pitty coz i really like the blue plate lights.
I bet the people who right these rules are 60 odd stuck up, latte drinking geriatrics with no sense of world reality or imagination.

pcp20us

Reaction score
As promised here are some pics and info from when i just did mine a few days ago.

Turned out really well and i'm quite happy with the results.

I used my phones camera so some pics may be worse than others.

I preferred to use the existing wiring from the interior light purely for when the doors open/car unlocked.

Reason for doing so is because the draw from the LEDs is not enough to affect the existing wiring nor fuse and also so i can keep the positive power that turns off after 20 minutes from the BCM. (in case lights are left on constantly, will not kill battery).

Hi I have just done my led lights front and back under the footwells. I followed this post. Was a bit confused by wiring the switch, but got it sorted.
Looks great.

If anyone wants a rough diagram of the setup, let me know. I ve got 1/2 a metre of leds left, so what to pimp know!

pcp20us

Reaction score
Ha guys after wiring up my led lights to the footwell, they work, but when i turn interior the light off/on the leds do not do not turn on/off with the light. is there some I am missing, or is this serperate wiring to the door and bcm wiring done from under the b pillar drivers door

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
When I did my footwells I tapped into the orange/black wire from the dome light.
This wire is on the same circuit as the dome light.
This allows the footwells to have the same function as the dome light.

CAUTION - IF YOU USE THE WIRE BEFORE THE GLOBE, IE. BETWEEN THE SWITCH AND THE GLOBE, THIS IS AN (-) EARTH WIRE.
IF YOU USE THE WIRE AFTER THE GLOBE, THIS IS (+) POSITIVE.

Alternatively and it may be easier, you could tap into the yellow/blue earth wire at the ignition lock lamp,
or the orange/black positive wire

Which ever wire you use, the other wire must be either a constant positive or negative which ever the case may be.

All the door switches run to the BCM and not directly to the dome light, so wiring the footwells here, would only switch the lights on when then the doors are
open and off when they are closed. It wouldn't give any auto function or allow the lights to be controlled by the switch.

When one or more of these switches are activated, it sends an earth signal to the BCM which in turn sends an earth signal to the dome light switch. This earth signal only operates when the switch is in the 'door' position.

If the switch is in the 'on' position, the lights are fed directly from a body earth.

Having the door switches run through the BCM gives you the timed off function and the auto on/off when the remote door lock is used,
when the switch is in the 'door' position.

I've included a diagram of the circuit.
Don't take any notice of the circled circuit, as this was for someone else.

Last edited:

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
Epic grave dig but at least I searched first. :)

Installed the two footwell lights today. I found what I am sure is the live and switched earth to the dome light. I used both since running one wire there might as well run two. I tapped in at the base of the B pillar.

Everything worked fine. All lights went out from the delay. I think only on the DOOR and not when ON though. So put it all back together.

Had to disconnect the battery to change the steering wheel. Did that and put battery back on. Now all lights stay lit regardless of dome switch or using the remote.

What have I done wrong? Should I change wire locations? Want it to work with other lights.

VU by the way.