Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Custom Headlight switch using VT wiring

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
Ok so the complete VT SS series 1 harness is in my 1958 FC Holden, looking at using the FC switch if possible. I joined the white/black wires from the indicator stalk to be a continuous circuit and on the vt headlight switch joined the grey and brown/blue wires to permanently have the dash lights on. I want the parkers to come on with the headlights and then the high beam when the chrome stalk is pulled out to its second stage. I used the dark blue/yellow high beam wire from the indicator stalk to activate the high beam. On the FC light switch power is at the bottom with three positions up the side. Position 1 nil requirement although I have the light blue parker wire connected, Position 2 with white/black standard beams and position 3 with blue/yellow high beam. Its a simple pull rod switch where you pull out a click and beams on and next stage is beams plus high beams.

So far the head light and the high beam selection is perfect.:beer chug:

Problem one: as this is an SS the manual has no ident for wiring, as in has guide for exec then berlina then calais and states the light blue wire (in photo not connected) is parkers for exec but foglamp for berlina and calais. The original car had foglamps but I can't see where another dedicated parklamp wire is sowhen I connect this to the headlight to activate parkers (the parkers activate) but the indicators come on solid and cut the dash lights out as per photo.

Problem two: there is a black/green wire that is not in the manual so I have no idea what it is for BUT, the manual states there should be a grey/red wire and there is no wire here in that colour.

Can anyone suggest a better method of connecting these up (I'd even be happy to leave it on auto the whole time).
Cheers

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374673968.177229.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374674006.921611.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374674033.721707.jpg

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hmm I'd love to help, but am a little confused as to ehats going on. Could you post up the diagrams you do have?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
The black green wire, do you know what it's other end is connected to? Have you been able to do a continuity test on it and find it's other end?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
and are the indicators working properly as well?
Sorry just gawking at the schems and trying to see what could cause the indicators to light up.... both of them.... but not flash. Have you got the indicator schematic hanging about as well?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Also, I'm presuming that on the far right of the VT diagram you posted is the headlights and park lights?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If I understand you properly.
The Blue wire is used to fire the relay and is not actually used to supply power to the park lights.
So if you disconnect this wire(blue) from the relay it will turn off the instrument lights as well, as they are run off the park light relay.
The park lights are connected through the relay by the orange/white wire from number 4 fuse and the brown wire which goes to the park lights.

From what I understand in the diagram, The headlights and fog lamps are negatively switched, while the tail lights, parkers and indicators are all positively switched.
So I think with that blue wire, you are some how
supplying a constant + voltage to the indicators, therefore they are staying on.

If you want the parkers on all the time, as I think you do, I would use the brown wire from the park light relay pin 5 and run that wire directly to the on position of the ignition switch.

From what I can see, the Black/Green wire goes to earth from the high/low beam switch.

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi mate yes far right is the headlights on the VT diagram. I always assumed the black green is for earth as per all other black green through out the wiring. The Hazards work correctly although they flash a little fast, any movement of the indicator stalk will activate the hazards

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
What I have inadvertantly done is also manually override the "turn off when car is turned off" feature too - The lights operate regardless of the ignition position.I am not referring to auto on when its dark. I would like the lights to turn off when the car is turned off.

I'd also like the parkers to operate at the same time as the low beams all the time. I do not need to select parkers independently.