Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WL Dash and Accessories Electrical Issue: Intermintently powers on / off

Cap75

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice 5.7
Hi all,

Only new to this forum.

Have valued a lot of members' advice and opinions and would to say thank you.

I own a WL Caprice 5.7 and recently have had an ABS Fault warning which has now developed into a annoying Dash Cluster power down and then power up at random while driving.

The stereo, sunroof and climate controls etc also power down at the same time; obviously the accessories must be connected at a certain point (module??)

I've asked around and most people are suggesting it seems to be a bad earth connection.

Even though, something tells me that the problems are derived and related to an ABS aspect since the above has only been happening after the initial ABS fault warning.

Could it be a Dash Cluster issue or some type of module i.e.: ABS BCM etc?

Could anyone please shed some light on the above, it would be most appreciated.

I'm on the verge of considering selling the car and I really don't want to.:rofl2:

Many thanks.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I had a similar problem which turned out to be the alternator overcharging. It might be worth measuring the voltage at the battery with the engine running.

Cap75

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice 5.7
Thanks for your reply.

I'll definitely check that out.

That actually makes sense as when I come to a standstill everything comes on as it's meant to, then as the revs go up when you take off it all goes off again.

Also noticed that when I hold up the rear window switches all comes back on again hence a possible voltage drop, Thanks again.

How did you sort yours out?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Thanks for your reply.

I'll definitely check that out.

That actually makes sense as when I come to a standstill everything comes on as it's meant to, then as the revs go up when you take off it all goes off again.

Also noticed that when I hold up the rear window switches all comes back on again hence a possible voltage drop, Thanks again.

How did you sort yours out?
I replaced the alternator, because unlike the ecotec the voltage regulator is inside the alternator and a bit more difficult to replace, plus it's a real bitch to get the alternator out so it's better to replace it and have peace of mind for a while.

Cap75

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice 5.7
Evening all,

After researching and looking into the electrical system diagrams and schematics, combined with the process of elimination etc, I finally sorted out the issue. (I think)

Quite basically all roads led back to the ABS system. Turns out it was a deteriorating contact on the ABS module socket connecter which took minutes to sort out.

In addition the ABS system seems to take precedence over most of the electrical aspects, hence it having priority and also being a major safety attribute of any vehicle with ABS for that matter.

It's been about a month now, hence the post at this stage. Time will tell if it is truly rectified we'll see...

Glad I didn't listen to all the differing opinions I got from so called "professionals" in this case.

Thanks to all who replied.