Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ANDRA Regulations

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Hey all,

I'm just curious about some regulations that need to be met in certain classes of drag racing at ANDRA-sanctioned tracks and events. If enough knowledge is gathered here, perhaps this thread could become one very useful place for people interested in beginning drag racing :) If so, I will add people's information to this post as it comes to hand.

---

Any car running nitrous must have yellow stickers on the front and rear (windscreens..?) of the car for officials to see, and must also have a blue light to indicate when the system is armed inside the car.

---

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Roll cages
Roll Bar/s - 41.3mm (1 5/8 inch) diameter tube with a wall thickness of
2.9mm (.116 inch) or 44.45mm (1 3/4 inch) x 2.6mm
(.102inches) as a minimum (mild steel) or
1 5/8" x .083" CM4130 or R531.

Side/Cross Bars - 31.8mm (1 1/4 inch) diameter tube with a wall thickness of
1.9mm (.075 inch) as a minimum (mild steel) or
1 1/2" x .065" CM4130 or R531.

Alloy cages are allowed for Andra, but only until 10.99

---

LICENCES

DIVISIONAL DRAG LICENCE Event Only Vehicles slower than 11.99 Total Cost Cover $5.00 inc GST, including Category Two PA add $5.00 inc GST.

JUNIOR COMPETITION LICENCE Ages between 8-16. Includes Licence, Log Book, Vehicle Name Registration and Subscription to Fast Lane. Consent of parent or guardian required who must be a full member of ANDRA. Total cost with ANDRA Associate Membership, Injured Drivers Fund Levy, ANDRA Log Book, ANDRA Rule Book $125.00 inc. GST.

SUPER STREET LICENCE PACKAGE Cars 11.00 seconds and slower and Motorcycles slower than 10.50 seconds with an unmodified swing arm. Total cost with ANDRA Associate Membership, Injured Drivers Fund Levy, ANDRA Rule Book $149.00 inc GST.

UNLIMITED DRAG LICENCE (UDL) Cars quicker than 11.00 and Motorcycles 10.50. Total cost UDL Licence with Full ANDRA Membership, Injured Drivers Fund Levy, ANDRA Rule Book $341.00 inc. GST or $491.00 inc. GST depending on your class requirements. Plus if required Log Book including GST is $30.00 for 2 years. A Medical Examination is required every two years.

GROUP ONE LICENCE (GOL) Total cost Group One Licence with Full ANDRA Membership, Injured Drivers Fund Levy, ANDRA Rule Book $1471.00 inc. GST. Plus if required Log Book $30.00 for 2 years. A Medical Examination is required every two years.

LOG BOOK ISSUE/UPDATE Required by: All Dragsters, Altereds, Funny Cars, and Sedans Quicker than 10.99 ET. Motorcycles quicker than 10.50 ET, Motorcycles with Modified Swing arm, Frames or Brakes and Exhibition vehicles and any vehicle deemed necessary by ANDRA Officials. ANDRA Vehicle Log Book will only be issued to the Bona Fide owner of a vehicle that is a Full ANDRA member, for a period of two years. Only one current ANDRA logbook is permitted for each Vehicle. Total cost for the Log Book is $30.00 for 2 years or free with a Junior Competition Licence.

---

TIME REGULATIONS

Slower than 10.99 seconds
- ADR-approved helmet
- Long sleeves and pants + enclosed shoes
- Day-Licence (Acquired on the day)
- Car must pass tech inspection, meaning things like no leaks etc.
- If running quicker than 12.00 seconds, 4-point harness
- If running faster than 130mph, 5-point harness

10.99 seconds - 10.00 seconds
- Tailshaft loop; 3mm steel, 360 degrees, within 6" of front uni joint
- Cars with 4-wheel disc brakes must have a single parachute if running faster than 130mph
- Street registered, steel-roof, unmodified chassis cars require rollover hoop with 2 bolted backstays and removable side-intrustion bar meeting ANDRA spec
- SFI 3.2a/5 or higher rated suit, helmet, fire resistant gloves shoes & socks.
- 4-point harness, 5-point harness if over 130mph
- Tech inspection every two years
- Unlimited licence (Annual membership - pre-purchased)

9.999 - 8.000 Seconds
- Street registered, steel-roof, unmodified chassis cars require 6-point minimum roll cage with removable side-intrusion bars to ANDRA spec
- Unsure of more as yet.

Last edited:

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I'll check the rulebook tonight, got a bit pre-occupied last night.

MickVE

Red... It goes faster!
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 MY10 SS
Not sure if anyone know this but are ANDRA governed under CAMS/FIA or is drag racing seperate from circuit racing?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Pretty sure it's seperate.

Stressball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
They are separate. For example, certain rollcages will meet CAMS approval but not ANDRA. It's a challenge to make one car that fits criteria for both and still performs reasonably.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
They are separate. For example, certain rollcages will meet CAMS approval but not ANDRA. It's a challenge to make one car that fits criteria for both and still performs reasonably.

why the hell would you want to race around in circles anyway? :p

Stressball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
why the hell would you want to race around in circles anyway? :p

Damn straight! If you racr circuits, you need brakes! Why would ANYONE want to slow down? :rolleyes: crazy speed in a straight line ftw hehe.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I once read the following;

"Real racers head straight for the finish line"

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
As for my question. When it comes to cars running 10.99 seconds or quicker, what are the requirements for a street car to run? As far as I know you need an Unlimited Licence, a wrap-around roll bar with reat struts, a tailshaft loop and possibly a fire suit and side-intrustion bars. I would very much like some clarification on what specifically is required under the ANDRA guidelines, to run quicker than 11 seconds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

tailshaft loop to spec. 3mm steel, 360 degrees, within 6 inches of the front uni.
4 wheel disc brake cars must have single chute over 130mph
street registered cars (fixed steel roof & unmodified monocoque chassis) running between 10.00 & 10.99, single rollover hoop covering the full drivers compartment with two bolted backstays also a removable side intrusion bar to ANDRA spec.
Street regisitered cars (fixed steel roof & unmodified monocoque chassis) running between 8.000 & 9.999, full roll cage mounted at minimum of 6 points with removable side intrusion bars to ANDRA spec.
sfi 3.2a/5 or higher rated suit, helmet, fire resistant gloves shoes & socks.
cars quicker than 12.00 need rated 4 point harness, faster than 130mph, 5 point harness needed.
tech inspection every two years needed.

Stressball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Thanks for that :) Edited first post with information.

Out of curiosity VT-565, would you know if I am able to buy the rulebook from ANDRA without acquiring a licence? I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy it on their site.