Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the EX-Holden Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamylion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT GTS-UK
VT2 Ls1 question?

hello,

you know when holden got the ls1's for their cars they made them more environmentally friendly but sacrificed some bhp(kw), do you know what they did?
i dont need to worry about the emissions as my 2001 HSV GTS-uk is already in the high road tax band, did they do it to the HSV cars too?

thank you.

Pacemaker

Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner
Motor conversion

hey,

Had a big problem with my 308 in WB 1 Tonner and didn't have any money to fix it, so i managed a swapped for a VQ statesman HSV 5L from a mate. been headache fitting it all and not having the money to do to much iv kept the wiring loom from the VQ motor an the WB to get it going for now. the motors in the ute had to make a few mods nothing to serious. would like to know if there will be any thing major other than the computer and ignition to wire up to run an would there be anything i may have trouble with? this is the first time iv done any thing like it, probably jumped into the deep end straight away but theres nothing else i can do atm.

Would any one have a link to or a pic of the wiring loom of a HSV VQ Statesman, iv looked but obviously not hard enough an can't find one. :S

cheers,
Brett
:)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
hello,

you know when holden got the ls1's for their cars they made them more environmentally friendly but sacrificed some bhp(kw), do you know what they did?
i dont need to worry about the emissions as my 2001 HSV GTS-uk is already in the high road tax band, did they do it to the HSV cars too?

thank you.
As far as i know, it was all in the tune which they put into the car.

The LS1 which the VT used had a more restrictive Inlet Manifold than the one from the LS6 which was applied to the VX Commodore.

The VT quoted kw figure was 220kw
The VX quoted kw figure was 225kw

If you're looking to upgrade the power out of the LS1, the first step is to usually put an exhaust system on, headers, hi-flow catalytic converters and a larger catback system and then tune the car.

From this on a VT series, which see's a figure of about 180 rwkw before-hand you can jump up to around 220-225 rwkw. From there you can go in any direction you want. You can upgrade the intake system to an Over The Radiator setup, throw a cam in it, some rockers, forced induction...

For a wealth more information visit www.ls1.com.au

whitevtwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Wagon
Hello I hope u can help, im not pulling apart my car until I can have a fair idea on what the problem could be, I own a series 1 1999 VT commodore station wagon, it has 234000kms and previous owner gave it a bit of a hard time. The other night when taking off from a red light it nearly stalled (Its auto) and then it sounded pretty much like a lawn mower, I put the throttle to the floor and it got to 60km/h and wouldnt go any further, I pulled over after a bit of this happening. Turned the vehicle off and then left it for a bit then turned it back on and it was fine but is now missing a fair bit, spitting at me a little bit. It had a radiator leak and I got that fixed and now the heater hose is leaking and now it will have to replaced. Could it be a water problem affecting the car or could it be something else I need to fix? Grrr @ VT's :(

sparky13164

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive 3.8
dunno wat to do

iv put a vr series 1 5 speed into my 1988 vn and it wont kick over
iv tried
battery
wiring harness
starter motor
fuel line

any tips

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
will a vy ss lsd diff fit a vx v6? or what will i have to change to make it fit?
also its 3:07 and my standard one is 3:08 will that change any thing else?

Alan22008

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive
just changed the battery in a vp commodore
ignition lights stay on ..engine light , oil and battery...when ignition is turned OFF
when u do turn the key it wont kick over
getting power to every thing as if the key is turned on ..but key is off
its also priming fuel pump when you remove the positive lead and put it back on(all dash lights still on ..key still off)
there is a funny high pitched noise under the bonnet to
when u remove the fuel pump fuse all the lights on the dash go off...(key off) ...turn the key to start it and the all lights come up as usual ....fuel pump primes but wont kik over

so every thing is getting power as if to start when the key is off...but it wont kik over

its not the ignition barrel..jus changed it

changed ecu to 1 that definitely works

checked all relays and fuses (the fuel pump fuse was blown but now replaced)

Last edited:

kamylion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT GTS-UK
As far as i know, it was all in the tune which they put into the car.

The LS1 which the VT used had a more restrictive Inlet Manifold than the one from the LS6 which was applied to the VX Commodore.

The VT quoted kw figure was 220kw
The VX quoted kw figure was 225kw

If you're looking to upgrade the power out of the LS1, the first step is to usually put an exhaust system on, headers, hi-flow catalytic converters and a larger catback system and then tune the car.

From this on a VT series, which see's a figure of about 180 rwkw before-hand you can jump up to around 220-225 rwkw. From there you can go in any direction you want. You can upgrade the intake system to an Over The Radiator setup, throw a cam in it, some rockers, forced induction...

thank you, i'll into it :thumbsup:

Qld_vyss

QLD_VY_SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS 5.7
Vy Stereo Playing Up.

Hey Rob, mate just wondering, i've got a vy ss and when i accelerate the volume increses until i take the power off, when im just holding the accelerator even the volume stays even and when i hit the brakes the volume turns down, really sucks, any help on fixing this would be great, cheers mate.

themilka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
VY Transmission

After about 20 minutes of driving my engine seems to over rev due to the transmission not changing gears, also makes a soft whirring noise. Only done 60000 any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.