Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dyno results of an Ebay 'performance' chip!

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
About to revive this old thread of mine .... and with a happy ending i'm sure:D

My origianal first post had me kicking up a stink cause i only gained .4 of a kw on the dyno with a ebay chip .... soon learned that i bought from the wrong shop;)
Getting the car dyno'd on monday morning .... to get fuel ratio's so as the experts on here can sort a tune for my 70mm throttle body.....

Will also get to see what the car puts out with the foam tune i've had in for ages... People in the thread requested i dyno again so now i got a good reason to do it, we'll see what it puts out....Using the same dyno too.

I put the stock memcal in yesterday to test it with the new TB..... A good reminder of how good the foam tune is. Car was sluggish on the stock chip especially in the mid range..... Foam tune went back in asap.

I'm aware dyno figures can vary due to many factors but on seat of your pants feel it has just got to pull more than the 110.4 it did on the stock memcal, obvously. (ebay chip was same as stock, a .3 increase doesnt count for much).

Anyway, will have figures on monday ..... to hazard i guess, i'll go for 118rwkw:)

-ToM-

Bow Down to the Emperor!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec [EMPIR3]
Im interested to see how you go. I dyno'd my car at 112.8rwkw/151rwhp a while back and have added extractors, high flow cat and foamy tune since. Wouldnt mind seeing what id get.

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
Im interested to see how you go. I dyno'd my car at 112.8rwkw/151rwhp a while back and have added extractors, high flow cat and foamy tune since. Wouldnt mind seeing what id get.

I also have the extractors and high flow cat on mine.... Newest mods i have done since the first dyno run in only a Mace enclosed pod cai, which wont have much of an effect on the rwkw figure... but has made a huge difference on the road.... the tune i have is loving it.
I also got the 70mmT\B from mace... so that is on the car too.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Once I get an updated tune from Jason I might throw the VN banger on for a power run and see what the before/after levels are like. Would be interesting! Also, on another note, aiming for a 15.5 ET this season in the same form that gave me 15.7 last :)

NIXONLS1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my mum
Just remember, there is no such thing as cheap, reliable horsepower. Is anyone seriously dumb enough to buy one of those chips?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I got some cheap reliable horsepower on my old 5L, and my current 3800, with a foam tune, and so have a LOT of people on here. But you're right, the opportunity doesn't come up very often!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I doubt you will see any increase in peak power, faster in a straight line sure, but 110 is pretty high allready, it doesn't leave alot of room to improve. However it'll be good to see if it's running rich, there might be a few rwkw to pick up there

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Just remember, there is no such thing as cheap, reliable horsepower. Is anyone seriously dumb enough to buy one of those chips?

It's often a 12-15 rwkw gain right across the boad on a 5 litre, you can't gain that much with any other bolt on mod, so sure there's plenty people dumb enough :)

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
I doubt you will see any increase in peak power, faster in a straight line sure, but 110 is pretty high allready, it doesn't leave alot of room to improve. However it'll be good to see if it's running rich, there might be a few rwkw to pick up there

Well you are surely right about not seeing an increase in peak power ..... dyno run today had the car at 110.2rwkw .... the operator said that at times car 'spiked' to 130rwkw but it obviously wouldn't have that.... so 110 is consistant with the first run i did.
Car feels much quicker to drive with your tune ... is it that it reaches peak power quicker or more efficiently than before.

Anyway i am more than happy with how the car goes .... i can be happy with 110rwkw from the old buick with just headers, full exhaust and tune.
Whenm i have more time i will post up the dyno graph .... operater said it was running a little lean but not too bad.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 257
Last edited: