Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] 308-304 injection top conversion

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
You mean lifters.....

That might change when you see the price of retrofit roller lifters and a billet roller cam. IMO, unless you are going a fairly big cam i really don't see the point going roller cam, flat tappet is fine for most applications. If you were starting with a roller block, thats a different story because you can re use the lifters and go with a nice hydraulic roller cam.

Also, you have to run bronze distributor & oil pump drive gears with a roller cam.

aww ok thats why the guy i spoke to would have been all for the roller cam

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
aww ok thats why the guy i spoke to would have been all for the roller cam

That might not be the case, the guy might just like roller cams and don't get me wrong, i'm not saying roller cams are bad infact, i think they are a good thing but it's a pretty expensive operation to convert a flat tappet engine to roller.

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
That might not be the case, the guy might just like roller cams and don't get me wrong, i'm not saying roller cams are bad infact, i think they are a good thing but it's a pretty expensive operation to convert a flat tappet engine to roller.

yeh i was quoted 8-10k

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
if that includes headwork, all parts and installation/run in, thats not too bad a price. is he gonna o ring the heads or are you just gonna pray arp bolts will hold it on.

depending on lift/cr etc that engine will be pretty f'ing hardcore.

well he said that arp head bolts should do it but i think ill get as much strength as possible i wanna run compression somewhere from 12-13 ratio maybe 12-5-1 ratio so ill need some strong fastening

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
AV gas...

can you still get that? nah... i reckon dual mixers and a really good LPG system, lpg can handle 12 to 1 easy, its just a matter of feeding it the right amount.

anyways, i still dont know why i am perpetuating this thread, lets face it we all are gonna have a 383 stroker with a roller cam 650 lift, 12:1 comp one day... right?