Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shoplifting

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Service 100. hahaha. That brings back some memories
I do know at Woolworths the policy states that we can ask to see in bags, but not touch anything. We can request them to move items to see under them, but really when it all comes down to it the customer can just refuse and walk out, There is nothing we can do. We are under NO circumstances allowed to force them to stay in the store or open a bag or anything.

Im pretty sure it the same with those electronic things at the registers.If it beeps the staff can ask you if you havnt payed for anything and you can just say "no"and walk.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
My daughter works at Safeway and they catch on average 4 per week and the police are there in about 20 minutes . The latest trend is to use the insulated cooler bags so they can walk out with out setting off the security alarm . Another one is to have someone waiting outside the emergency exit with their car while their partner fills up a couple of bags full of shopping then race out the emergency doors and into the car for a quick getaway.

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
i had an emplyee of coles following me around the store the other day trying to be discrete about it ( lol ) so i pretended to put something in my pocket and went and paid for my groceries and hung around out the front of coles after checkout just to see if they were sussing me out or not , turns out she was and all that happened was a security guard came and asked me to turn my pockets out which i do so infront of said coles worker.
took a good 5 minutes for the security guard to come and talk too me which would have been way more than long enough to casually walk out and jump in my car and drive off..... if i was a thief it would be goddamn easy.

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
i had an emplyee of coles following me around the store the other day trying to be discrete about it ( lol ) so i pretended to put something in my pocket and went and paid for my groceries and hung around out the front of coles after checkout just to see if they were sussing me out or not , turns out she was and all that happened was a security guard came and asked me to turn my pockets out which i do so infront of said coles worker.
took a good 5 minutes for the security guard to come and talk too me which would have been way more than long enough to casually walk out and jump in my car and drive off..... if i was a thief it would be goddamn easy.

If you are seen stealing something they can not take their eyes off you.If you did try to steal something and you dumped it later in the store before leaving,if they were to grab you and hold you for the Police they could be in the ****.I have known a few undercover store detectives(what ever their correct name is) and if they lose sight of a suspect they will not pull them up.

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
If you are seen stealing something they can not take their eyes off you.If you did try to steal something and you dumped it later in the store before leaving,if they were to grab you and hold you for the Police they could be in the ****.I have known a few undercover store detectives(what ever their correct name is) and if they lose sight of a suspect they will not pull them up.

it wasnt an undercover it was a checkout chick! i was suprised that i wasnt grabbed by store detectives to tell the truth , the security guard who asked me too turn my pockets out wasnt even a part of coles he was mall security.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
lol at service 100.

that stands for armed robbery in progress at my store

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
whats service 100? does that mean theft in progress or something?

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
certain compabnies use different meanings, for mine its armed robbery.

woolies is theft or similar.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Just re. citizens arrest, I read up on this a few years ago and read pretty much the same thing minux posted. But I do remember that there was a stipulation that when u see the crim commit the crime you can not make a citizens arrest if you have subsequently lost sight of them eg. You see some punk steal someones handbag, they do the runner get away you see them 2 mins later you are not allowed to arrest them. I think there were a couple of other stipulations, might dig out the law books later.

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
legal or not i think anyone thats going to perform a `citzens arrest` should be prepared for a rude if not violent responce.
i think the smarter thing to do would be to write down details that would help the actual police such as physical features ( tatts , scars , anything that stands out) and even rego number if thats attainable , let the police deal with it and avoid what could turn from a petty theft or whatever into an assault, which could be considered self defence too the person who you are trying to citizens arrest.