Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shoplifting

Holden_Man

Coffin Dodger
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Berlina
The workers there see her come in everyday and steal ****, but their's nothing they can do, because they cant make her open her bag.

That seems strange to me as our Woolies has signs on the checkouts. "Be prepared to open bags for inspection." Or have policies changed recently?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Last person that tried to steal while I was working alone got knocked to the ground haha.

If it was an old lady, I would just wait for her to pay, and hopefully she pays with eftpos, then I can get her name. I would confront her about it at the checkout anyway. Deal with plenty of thieves at my bottle shop. Some of the excuses they come up with are just moronic.

For as long as I can remember, places like target have had people at the door to check peoples bags. It doesnt bother most normal people.

Interesting post minux. Some good info. Good to know what I can and can't do with thieves.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Service 100. hahaha. That brings back some memories
I do know at Woolworths the policy states that we can ask to see in bags, but not touch anything. We can request them to move items to see under them, but really when it all comes down to it the customer can just refuse and walk out, There is nothing we can do. We are under NO circumstances allowed to force them to stay in the store or open a bag or anything.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
If for any reason someone is locked in a store, it is false inprisonment and carries big charges. Similar story with a citizens arrest, I was actually discussing this today. Most cases of citizens arrest end badly, the person doing the arrest usually gets charged for false inprisonment and/or assault. Very dark area, wouldnt do it, really not worth it.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Service 100. hahaha. That brings back some memories
I do know at Woolworths the policy states that we can ask to see in bags, but not touch anything. We can request them to move items to see under them, but really when it all comes down to it the customer can just refuse and walk out, There is nothing we can do. We are under NO circumstances allowed to force them to stay in the store or open a bag or anything.

Clearly that is Woolworths staff policy. Not law.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
If for any reason someone is locked in a store, it is false inprisonment and carries big charges. Similar story with a citizens arrest, I was actually discussing this today. Most cases of citizens arrest end badly, the person doing the arrest usually gets charged for false inprisonment and/or assault. Very dark area, wouldnt do it, really not worth it.

It is only false improsenment if you 1. They did no crime and 2. You did not call the police.

If you follow it by the book, you cannot be charged for false imprisonment. Fairly sure you would be covered under "Lawful excuse". ;)

Perhaps you could link to some case studies about it?

Edit: Re being locked in a store. I can only find cases where the people that have been locked in a store have been charged with trespass.

Last edited:

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Clearly that is Woolworths staff policy. Not law.

I clearly stated that it was woolworths Policy at the start of my post not law. We would get an official warning towards dismissal if we were to use force to make a suspected shoplifter stay in store. Having said that 99% of thieves just get embarrassed and hand over the good very quickly when you wait for them at the store exit and step in front of them after they have gone through checkouts without paying.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I clearly stated that it was woolworths Policy at the start of my post not law.

Hence my "Cleary that is Woolworths policy".... nm, interwebz needs emphasis chat lol.

ozz

Reaction score
For as long as I can remember, places like target have had people at the door to check peoples bags. It doesnt bother most normal people.

I dont steal anything, but it does bother me. I hate being made to feel guilty of something i havn't done.
If i get really sick of being asked (going to a bunch of shops in a day or something) ill usually end up just telling them no, they cant check my bag