Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Petrol expected to hit $2 a Litre

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
If your subaru was a larger car with bigger crumple, I can guarantee it would be safer.

How? I'm really interested in this guarantee. Are you a Subaru engineer? Do you work for ANCAP?

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
How? I'm really interested in this guarantee. Are you a Subaru engineer? Do you work for ANCAP?

yeh pretty much :)

Well no, the frontal offset impact rating is evaluated on collision with a car of equal mass going at equal speed, they just test running the car into a barrier at 64km/h.

You can compare the safety to vehicles of equal mass, but extrapolating it to lighter versus heavier cars, ie will a 4 rating heavy car be better off in a frontal impact with a 5 rating smaller car, probably, but they dont give enough details of how the final rating is calculated.

The side impact is with a fixed mass getting fired into the side of the car, so this is comparable as is the pole impact test as it doesnt involve another vehicle.

Good factual post. Thanks torch.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
WTF! Has this got anything to do with topic, Stay on topic ladies!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Well no, the frontal offset impact rating is evaluated on collision with a car of equal mass going at equal speed, they just test running the car into a barrier at 64km/h.

You can compare the safety to vehicles of equal mass, but extrapolating it to lighter versus heavier cars, ie will a 4 rating heavy car be better off in a frontal impact with a 5 rating smaller car, probably, but they dont give enough details of how the final rating is calculated.

The side impact is with a fixed mass getting fired into the side of the car, so this is comparable as is the pole impact test as it doesnt involve another vehicle.

No doubt there. My point is that in a frontal impact lets say into a solid object, then the car with the better score will give you a better result on coming out of it. As I mentioned ina later post, a head on is generally more about luck for the occupants than anything. Many an accident has been seen where smaller cars have come off better or bigger cars come off better. Will all depend on how the impact occurs.

I am simply saying that the statement "bigger cars are safer" is really no longer true.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I am simply saying that the statement "bigger cars are safer" is really no longer true.

That's correct.

Plus for the most part, they use less fuel.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
No doubt there. My point is that in a frontal impact lets say into a solid object, then the car with the better score will give you a better result on coming out of it. As I mentioned ina later post, a head on is generally more about luck for the occupants than anything. Many an accident has been seen where smaller cars have come off better or bigger cars come off better. Will all depend on how the impact occurs.

you may have seen incidents where the occupants of the smaller vehicle end up better off than the larger one, but basically when all is averaged out you cant argue with the laws of physics.

For example lets say you have a head on at 60km/h between a one tonne small car and one of those 4wds that are pushing 2tonnes, both with 5 star ancap ratings.

The 2tonne vehicle will change speed from 60 to 20km/h and the smaller vehicle will go from 60km/h to 20km/h in the opposite direction.

The larger vehicle has effectively just had a 40km/h collision with a fixed object and the smaller vehicle an 80km/h collision with a fixed object, not survivable for the occupants of the smaller vehicle.

All that being said, Id be the first person to discourage people from arming themselves with heavier vehicles, the more of us in lighter vehicles the larger the chance our collision will be with something smaller.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
I remember looking at prices when I was younger and thinking it was heaps... Today filling up my own car I wish I was born earlier for cheaper prices!

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Cheapest I ever remember paying for regular unleaded was arounf the 64.9 cents per litre mark. But adjusted for inflation it was actually more expensive back then!!!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
:rofl:

"No offence" cannot precede an insult like calling someone an arsehole. The two things are sort of mutually exclusive.

But as harsh as some people may seem, they do have a point. You can to live to a budget and since there is nothing we can do about petrol prices, the best things to post on here are ways to "cut the fat" from budgets rather than whinge about how unfair it is.

Unfortunately, the "fat" that needs to be cut is usually luxury items and in drastic situations, downsizing cars, etc might be required.

If someone has the options of keeping a thirsty commodore or putting food on the table, touch choices have to be made.

Judging by most on here they would switch to a cigarette and beer diet.

Reaper