Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

speedo using mechanical and electronic drive

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have just done a v6 conversion to my vh and the speedo setup is a drama....I need to drive a cable for the actual speedo and a sensor for the ecu ....I know there is a sticky thread for this conversion but I was wondering what anyone has done to do this for a auto t 700....I have read a angled drive mentioned on the net to drive the cable and the conventional vn/p screwed straight in and it seems to be an answer but I was wondering what anyone else has done to do this part of the conversion that works?

Last edited:

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Talk to speedotom on the forum what your after is a right angle to give you clearance then an inline electronic drive this way you can connect yourmechanical cable at the end.

Since taking your speedo reading from the sensor tot he computer make sure you make allowances for the divide by 5 circuit that runs in the OEM speedos

Scott

hainzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX SL/R torana, HZ SANDMAN, VH SL/E top 30
Call benny instruments in ballarat. he makes all that stuff. Doesnt always answer the phone as hes often in his workshop, but i got my speedo drive/pulse convertor etc from him. costs around $130. - 5336 2616.

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
So if I'm reading this right with my vh v6 I'm building I can get from the bloke in ballarat a converter thing so I can have the v6 auto running to the vh stock speedo for under 200?
I was going to buy a electronic speedo but this may save more headaches then all I need is to tap the stock dash tachometer to the v6 and get it working as all I get so far is the needle flicks once when starting and that is hooking the wire either next to strut tower lhs or under dash loom) loom being VN) cool
Not quite sure what vkberlina means with the angle bracket bit any chance of a diagram or so, sorry if it sounds a bit silly but

Last edited:

hainzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
What he is referring to is that when the cable comes out of the side of the gearbox its pretty thick and bends gradually, not sharply, and gets squashed between the gearbox and the transmission tunnel. A right angle should solve this.

And yes, I have a Vh with a 304 efi in it and a T5 manual. bennys make a cable which come out of the box and goes into a pulse convertor. This has i think 3 wires which you run to your ECU. You also screw your VH speedo cable into this so it sends the mechanical signal to the VH dash. best of both worlds.

This is the one i got for a T5 in a VH

IMG_0403.jpg

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
What he is referring to is that when the cable comes out of the side of the gearbox its pretty thick and bends gradually, not sharply, and gets squashed between the gearbox and the transmission tunnel. A right angle should solve this.

And yes, I have a Vh with a 304 efi in it and a T5 manual. bennys make a cable which come out of the box and goes into a pulse convertor. This has i think 3 wires which you run to your ECU. You also screw your VH speedo cable into this so it sends the mechanical signal to the VH dash. best of both worlds.

This is the one i got for a T5 in a VH

IMG_0403.jpg

Ok so I get one of these thingo's and plug it into the auto then plug the speedo cable into the back of the speedo and screw the other end into the speedo converter, is there anything that goes in the other side opp where the speedo cable screws in as it looks like it has something to be plugged here?
And this is cheaper than other units that I priced up in the $800 area might have to get one.

hainzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
The gold side threads onto your gearbox.

The end of your VH speedo cable screws onto the silver threaded side.

The cable is a 4 sided cable which runs out of this gold section into your gearbox. It might run to a shorter joiner section and this should join to your VH cable. I lost mine and in the end i got the Bennys guy to make up an extension cable so it ran out of the gearbox, curved toward the engine and I joined it all together about 200mm from the gearbox.This is also an option if you dont get the right angle section vkberlina was talking about.

The white plastic male connection clicks onto the plastic connection that runs to your ECU. Keep this bit from your donor car as you need to wire it in to the wires below. (I think..It was a while ago..)

IMG_0402.jpg

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hey markovr just wondering is your v6 conversion using a stock tacho and if so how is yours working, with mine I tried what you told me last time in being to hook the stock tacho wire to either the loom wire in the VN dash loom I have in the car or the wire for tacho up next to the left strut tower, and either just gives a flick when switching on the car then nothing...
Has anyone else got a answer for this as I would like to keep the stock tacho as know finding this speedo convertor that Hanzey has mentioned ill be able to save a few $$$$ and keep the dash looking standard cheers

OrangeVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII
I purchaces a $70 reverse sensor with built in digital speedo and just used it as a speedo. i got mine from super cheep auto repco had them as well. I just had to wire it in to the T700 speed sensor. and just mounted it on the dash.

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Got any pics of this OrangeVR cheers