Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

speedo using mechanical and electronic drive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
mate in my vl with a vn v8 ecu i done this....
you need a cable made to clip into your cluster,and the gearing that plugs into the box. i paid $220 all brand new gear.
if you still need one let me know i will forward the shop details.
though if your ecu requires the pulse i'm at a loss lol.

hey mate dont the VN ecu's need a pulse from the speedo

cheers

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
hey mate dont the VN ecu's need a pulse from the speedo

cheers
no the vn v8s don't,the gear box wiring does not even have to be connected liek the newer model cars,
not sure about v6s though?

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
put a cut with angle grinder with a cutting disc on it where the red line is in the pic then close it up again with a hammer and run a weld through it, once done grind it off fairly smooth and paint with body sealer of choice and your done wont even notice it there. thats what i done to 2 of the cars i have done with the 4 speed auto and both passed inspection with out a worry.

clearance.jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
no the vn v8s don't,the gear box wiring does not even have to be connected liek the newer model cars,
not sure about v6s though?

thats good one less thing for me to stress about... so all i need is a cable like this one made for T5 to VH cluster

king55

Reaction score
Members Ride
efi vh slx
V6 conversions has those speedo sensors for $250

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
manual t5 v6 and v8 vn-vp shouldn't need to talk to the ecu.
a Turbo 350 speedo cable should fit. VB sl/e's had them. much cheaper than a custom cable.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Ok so I get one of these thingo's and plug it into the auto then plug the speedo cable into the back of the speedo and screw the other end into the speedo converter, is there anything that goes in the other side opp where the speedo cable screws in as it looks like it has something to be plugged here?
And this is cheaper than other units that I priced up in the $800 area might have to get one.

I bought this exact speed sensor on friday from a place here in brisbane for $105........custom cable 90 bucks...problem is the factory length cable is too short as it used the angled drive...the speedo place had them too for 170 from here

I had a few problems with this, firstly i had the top speed sensor which would screw into the gearbox and the cable onto that but was to tighter turn for the cable in the trans tunnels for my liking. What i ended up getting done is having the sensor moved inline further down the cable near the bellhousing, so long as its a little above oil level as i have found the sensor isnt that well sealed and it leaks oil. I intend to find a better solution as its still not the nicest tidiest setup.

Speedo place said that oil should not be getting into the cable..looks like there is a seal leaking or missing...might be worth looking into .......oil leaks are annoying

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Update on getting the tacho going...apparently its possible but you need a interface circuitboard to go in so your old movement reads ...currently trying to negotiate a price that isnt too steep for the board
From what I can make out the signal from a old style vh coil to the tacho is a 12v signal and the tacho signal off the v6 dfi is a 5v square wave so you need this new board which can be adjusted by way of a variable resistor to calibrate.....its not much of a board but I cant find it anywhere else....i really want to buy it and install it myself but the speedo place only do installs of complete unit in your tacho for a bit over 2 hundred ..a bit steep for one gauge.
found this mod for the tacho on a website...havent tried it yet
tachomod.gif

Last edited:

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Update on getting the tacho going...apparently its possible but you need a interface circuitboard to go in so your old movement reads ...currently trying to negotiate a price that isnt too steep for the board

Ok so I most likely will need this to make the VN V6 read on my tacho, cool would there be some sort of way from using the circuit board attached to the back of a factory VN/S dash cluster then some how fold or roll it up to hind under the dash or similar?
I was thinking that I would need to run an earth wire somewhere to make it work, with mine I get a quick very small flick when I try mine and then nothing else keep me posted could you please as I am wanting to continue with mine and at the moment i've been thinking maybe to just end the project and pull the V6 and put in a 308 or 253 that way everything is straight forward, BUT half of me want to slap myself for that idea and keep pushing with the V6 maybe im just getting myself in a rut as im at a stand still with it, she is almost finished just the speedo, tacho, suspect leak from trans (fix or replacement auto not sure) and the odd touch up with wiring then engineer and rego oh and rwc that alone is about $150 odd in vic these days and they take pics for some reason. Any way no more carrying on ill just keep an eye out on how your going cheers.
Oh sorry any update daytime pics or vids cheers

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The tacho is possible, i got mine working. I used a little device known as an opto-coupler from my speedo shop. All it does is get the 5v pulse and turns it into a 12v pulse.