Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help - Highway Patrol (camera/radar and fine related) :(

mazaa93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Sv6
So today I was driving on the freeway to get down to Great Ocean Road to get to a job (currently on lunch break).

I was driving along and I was on a downhill and I let the car roll and it reached about 110km (limit is 100km).

So I let it roll down and maintain the 110 itself, when I noticed in my left rear view mirror that there was a Highway Patrol car parked on the nature strip of an on-ramp.

So now I'm paranoid, don't know whether I'm going to receive a fine :(

Questions I have;
- since the Patrol didn't chase me down, did I not get caught?
- do they have speed radars/cameras that catch you and your license number?

Last time I was caught speeding by HWP they caught me on the radar then pulled me over, I HOPE it's still the same process?

Am I in luck?

Cheers in advance!

mazaa93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Sv6
And there was a cop inside in the drivers seat.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Only mobile speed cameras book you without chase police force have to pull you over and tell you that your getting a fine

Paleface

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV A6
No, you will be okay, I don't think the cop was interested in you, as Ghost said, he would have chased you if he was.

mazaa93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Sv6
Only mobile speed cameras book you without chase police force have to pull you over and tell you that your getting a fine

No, you will be okay, I don't think the cop was interested in you, as Ghost said, he would have chased you if he was.

This is awesome news!
I don't believe the HWP have fixed cameras on them though, do they?

There was a mobile camera later on down the road that I saw, but oncoming traffic flashed there highbeams to warn us drivers heading down that direction haha.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol your all good just don't make a habit of it

mazaa93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Sv6
Lol your all good just don't make a habit of it

Hahaha all good, thanks heaps bud.
You've helped a guy sleep easy for now lmao.

Edit: sorry, but you're aware I'm located in Melbourne yea Ghost?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Meh, I never have cruise set below 115 on the Melbourne rd (turn it off through the seaky revenue makers which apparently save lives), yet to have been pulled over by HWP. Been past about 50 different cars. Seems once you break the 115 mark they care what speed you're doing :)

They didn't chase so you wont be fined :)

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hahaha all good, thanks heaps bud.
You've helped a guy sleep easy for now lmao.

Edit: sorry, but you're aware I'm located in Melbourne yea Ghost?

Well the great ocean road is a bit of a giveaway but also I watch highway patrol on channel 7 and that's always Victorian coppers your lucky they didn't pull you up lol apparently under hoon legislation now they impound the car for 30 days

Last edited:

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
heard this a while back from someone about down hill infringements...

herald sun article below... couldnt get the link to work properly so posted the whole thing....

067968-pn-police-speed-camera.jpg

POLICE are investigating 24 mobile speed camera sites that may have been used to wrongly fine thousands of Victorian motorists for years.

Speed camera watchdog Gordon Lewis provided police with a list of suspect sites, most of which were on downhill stretches.

The list follows Mr Lewis's appeal through the Herald Sun for motorists to dob in dodgy speed camera sites.

It came after Mr Lewis exposed a shonky mobile camera site in Warrigal Rd, Surrey Hills, which was wrongly set up over the brow of a hill to snap motorists going down a steep slope.

Speeding fines issued from the site had to be scrapped after the discovery that the speed camera operator had not followed Victoria Police guidelines, which ban cameras being set up on a downhill slope unless the site had a significant speed-related collision record.

Mr Lewis said he would not identify the 24 camera sites until after police had confirmed whether they breached the guidelines. But the Herald Sun has discovered one site under investigation is in Humphries Rd, Frankston South.

Resident Jo Lane, a nurse, 47, said mobile speed cameras were regularly located on Humphries Rd between Bareena Drive and Darvell Lane.

"That is unfair as there is quite a slope there and it is easy to go just over the limit," Ms Lane said.

"It is not an area that is subjected to a lot of speeding and it certainly isn't an accident blackspot. Putting mobile cameras there smacks of revenue raising to me."

Victoria Police spokeswoman Catherine Allen defended the use of mobile speed cameras in Humphries Rd, despite it being at the bottom of a hill, saying it had been chosen because "it was identified by police to be a speed-related problem site".

However, since August 2002, only seven people have been caught exceeding the speed limit in Humphries Rd by more than 25km/h and of the 1757 motorists busted there in the past 10 years, 1336 were doing less than 10km/h over the 60km/h limit.

Mr Lewis said his plea to Herald Sun readers to dob in dodgy speed camera sites had produced a large number of responses.

"The complaints my office received were predominantly based on concerns that the road safety camera vehicles were sited on downhill gradients, within 300m of the bottom of a hill, or on a bend," he said.

"Victoria Police guidelines provide for circumstances where a regional traffic inspector can authorise the siting of a mobile safety camera on a downhill gradient, although this is not the norm."