Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car cameras

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS

trent d

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive
So can you get sound on these things and who can access the videos that arn't loaded up to YouTube

Still grounded

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Yes they have sound but some people choose not to have it on and well the answer to the other question is you unless you randomly give your camera to everyone

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Or if you get carted away in an ambulance and the traffic investigation squad see it in your windscreen and take it for home movie night.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol yeah then send it in to funniest home videos lol

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
As I mentioned before, I bought the iPhone app Witness. Obviously since the iPhone already has GPS, audio, a video camera and plenty of storage, the hardware needs are already covered with the phone. The application costs 99 cents, I wonder if a similar app is available on Android?

Of course I needed to buy a cradle for it as well, and it needs power. Apparently it uses a lot, so a power supply is necessary if you are going to use it all the time.It seems to me a dock might be easier, they are available with the same mounting systems etc, I might look at one later.

In the meantime, I went this way.

I bought a double USB plug, with 2 iPhone cables. for $12 shipped on fleabay. They have the same deal with one iPhone and one mini USB (android etc phones) cable instead. One is probably enough for me, but since it will stay permanently in its socket, cant hurt to have a double..

doubleusb.jpg

The phone cradle was $8.80 shipped, also from fleabay.

phonecradle.jpg

witness1.jpg

For the purpose of making it easier to download, the video file was converted from a 339MB .mov file to a 67MB .flv file then uploaded to youtube. This has cost a little quality, but not a huge lot.

Note that the original file, exported as high quality, is still not good at picking up number plates. There is however a snapshot function, which will take a photograph of much better quality (good enough for the number plate), but you have to remember to press it...

[video=youtube_share;1ErXlZpe48c]http://youtu.be/1ErXlZpe48c[/video]

I'll upload a video of it in place and in action when I can get a passenger to hold the camera :)

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ill switch to the iPhone app the day they make a decent holder that doesn't stick out like dogs balls I looked at every country on eBay for a car holder that didn't stick out and found nothing so I went with the blackvue camera and other than the cord it's pretty much hidden behind the rear view mirror

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Ill switch to the iPhone app the day they make a decent holder that doesn't stick out like dogs balls I looked at every country on eBay for a car holder that didn't stick out and found nothing so I went with the blackvue camera and other than the cord it's pretty much hidden behind the rear view mirror

agreed, plus you dont have to worry about putting your phone in the holder and starting the app everytime you get in the car. plus you dont have to worry about using up all your phones memory.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah it's worth it the only issue I have is my dash reflects onto the windscreen and the camera sees it but I think a dash mat should help