Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV spoiler removal

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
OK so correct me here but why cover/plug the holes? the water wont run into the boot anyway the holes left are outside of the rubber seal and water already travel in this area in the rain, car wash etc.

just my thoughts probably wrong here

Huh? The four holes left when you remove the rear wing are right on top of the boot lid, and they would let water directly into your boot.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
OK so correct me here but why cover/plug the holes? the water wont run into the boot anyway the holes left are outside of the rubber seal and water already travel in this area in the rain, car wash etc.

just my thoughts probably wrong here

You understand the concept of "Rain" right?

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
yeah definitely won't be leaving them open. Would probably start rusting in the holes too. Will be heading to clark rubber in the morning, fingers crossed they have the right size...

Don't get me wrong I do like the spoiler, but it's embarassing in the condition it's in, and want a lower, cleaner look in the meantime (before I actually lower the car itself).

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Huh? The four holes left when you remove the rear wing are right on top of the boot lid, and they would let water directly into your boot.

You understand the concept of "Rain" right?

Yes I understand the concept of rain BUT I'm pretty sure those 2 holes left on each side of the boot lid won't allow water into the boot. Go pop your boot n check!! I will be after work and taking pictures if I'm right!!

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes I understand the concept of rain BUT I'm pretty sure those 2 holes left on each side of the boot lid won't allow water into the boot. Go pop your boot n check!! I will be after work and taking pictures if I'm right!!

I was just looking at mine a couple of days ago and I clearly remember seeing the bolts from the underside of the boot lid. I can't see any way the would NOT let water in, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. :)

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
I was just looking at mine a couple of days ago and I clearly remember seeing the bolts from the underside of the boot lid. I can't see any way the would NOT let water in, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. :)
The bolt holes are outside the sealed area of the boot lid.
Any water going through those holes will simply go in the channel beside the seal and safely run along the side down and out over the bumper, along with any water that runs down the rear window into the channel beside the boot seal.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Any water going through those holes will simply go in the channel beside the seal and safely run along the side down and out over the bumper, along with any water that runs down the rear window into the channel beside the boot seal.

So people use rubber grommets solely for the aesthetics?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8

My point exactly!!!

Here's my highly detailed pictures created in paint showing this

yellow circles are the spoiler bolts, red area is the channel water for rain etc and the blue are is the boot behind the rubber seal

IMG_1852m_zps483d4d4e.jpg

and that channel once more

IMG_1853_zps0bbc3f1b.jpg

some guys need to think about it or check there cars before bashing other peoples thoughts ideas ay Brenno. I clearly know what rain is SA isn't that dry lol

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride

I'm going to have a look tonight...

I had a look and my apologies, you are right.

I still wouldn't just leave two holes there though. (I wouldn't even have grommets but that's just me..)