Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what to look for in a euro daily

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I'm looking to get something smaller than a commodore as a daily, something euro.

basically I'm asking if anyone knows what kinds of faults to look out for in the BMW's (3 series in particular), mercs and the like, besides the normal wear and tear.

I've had my eye on a Alfa but I've heard the selespeed equipped models are rubbish and are known to be problematic. can anyone elaborate on this?

thanks.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Budget? Requirements? Is euro a must? Does it need to be RWD?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
What to look for?

Warranty, and lots of it!

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
What's your budget.

People think that they're expensive to service and repair, but they're not. I've has an Audi, Merc and VW's as well as holdens and they're about the same in repairs. There's a few good US sites that also ship cheap replacement parts if needed.

I was after the same thing as you a few years ago. I wanted a small hatch that was fun to drive and ended up getting this...

2012 VW Golf R

I looked for something with low kms, factory warranty and all the extras. Also had to be turbo and AWD. It also had to fit a baby seat and have a decent boot.

Wife has a 2013 VW Passat Alltrack, which is the family wagon.

I'd steer clear of BMW. especially the E90 320. the engines are prone to engine leaks and can be expensive to fix.

I'd go for a Merc. I had a 2005 W203 C180, which my granddad now has. Never has any issues with it in the 10 years of ownership. Only thing is that it's very under powered. 105kw and 220Nm

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Selespeed Alfas are good until the gearbox goes so stay away from them. Can be expensive to fix.
The Manuals are much much better though.

But with any Alfa you will find faults and problems, even if only a year old.

As far as BMW 3 series goes if 318i make sure timing belt has been done at correct time.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'd go Jap/Korean over a Euro. Sure people have great experiences but life is chance and in the chance something hefty or unexpected goes wrong it's going to French tickle the #### out of your wallet.

Mazda, Hyundai, Subaru are fast becoming the 'new' Commodore, dime a dozen and most maintenance/work can be done with common tools and DIY.

I've owned a few Euro's as well, I do all my own work, loved my Saab but I'll never do it again, don't care what folks say, the **** costs more and by a margin that adds up over time.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
+1 on a Golf R

Or a GTI? Otherwise get a Mazda 3/6 MPS :)

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Speaking to a friend who is a Beamer mechanic, he rekons a lot of the problems you find in commodores you get in beamers. Front end bushes and electrical faults are common.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
Thanks for the advice.

I ended up giving the euros a miss, although I was really tempted by a Alfa 159 selestep.

I ended up choosing a Accord Euro.

munter000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
My mechanic bitched about doing a CV replacement on an Alfa....reckoned it took four times as long as a Japanese car would. A mates wife had a VW Golf **** its gearbox, the repair bill was 9k but the waranty covered it....and as my Japanese friend said in broken English..."Japanese car good but not sexy"