Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
IMG_1175.JPG
It was bound to happen one day soon.
A Korean pips our Holden SSV-R (and HSV R8) performance with latest saloon offering:
Kia has confirmed the upcoming Stinger liftback’s 0-100km/h time this week during its debut at the Seoul motor show.
IMG_1176.JPG

"The flagship Stinger GT, powered by a 3.3-litre twin-turbo V6 petrol engine developing 272kW of power and 510Nm of torque, sprints from zero to 100km/h in just 4.9 seconds in rear-wheel drive form, the company has confirmed today.
While an impressive figure in itself, the Stinger’s sprint time matches that of the locally-produced Commodore SS-V – which features a much larger 6.2-litre naturally-aspirated ‘LS3’ V8 producing 304kW of power and 570Nm of torque – while also beating the 5.2-second target set when the car was revealed."

Last edited:

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Meh, its as ugly as sin imo and I wouldn't be seen dead in a Kia even if it did 0-100 in 2 seconds flat.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think it looks good; and once Commodore is gone along with it's understressed & proven old technology, I also think a KIA is a much better bet than anything else Holden will be selling from a reliability point of view.

So how does it pip it with the same time?
Like-for-like it's faster, 4.9s vs 5.2s.
Sure you can get a Commodore to go faster than the claimed-by-Holden time, but the same will be true of the Stinger. :)

Additionally ... for some reason, I clicked into this thread expecting to find a source of cheap hoses for Commodores & HSV's. :)

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
I would not go claiming anything about this car flogging any HSV or Redline just yet. These are claims by Kia, let's wait and see after it has arrived and been driven and lived with for 25000ks.
But I will say it does sound the business and I do like how it looks. I will definitely give it a go

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
I was under the impression that the car with that motor won't be coming to Oz anytime soon. I seem to recall we get the car but with a different engine etc. I could be wrong.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
Who gives a... it's not a proper upper middle class bogan car (per another thread) and if it gets here it won't be all that cheap (except in quality). I wouldn't waste the fuel challenging one, but it will undoubtedly make some people happy, maybe even the police fleet, though they have done turbo before and don't believe they liked them. Just sayin'

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
So the title of the thread says "flogs" but the second sentence says "pips".

This is typical of the the anti-Commodore hype largely fuelled by people who wouldn't buy a Commodore, from either Holden or Opel.

I haven't heard anyone question the handling ability of the KIA - it's one thing to do 4.9s in a straight line but how good/fast is it when it gets to the corner? I would be extremely surprised if KIA's first showroom version would beat a VF2 Redline or even SS around Bathurst. In recent days video as emerged of the 2018 Commodore showing its AWD ability on a track. The only Stingers I've seen have been stationary (not that I've looked too far but the internet is hardly jumping with Stingers doing anything but sitting on a dias or in a carpark.

Yes, I know KIA is supposedly still tuning it for Aussie conditions but with 6 months to go I would think something more convincing than talk is required before too much longer. Even then I wouldn't touch one for the first couple of years from a reliability point of view (regardless of warranty).

The hype is such that even the fake vents are being excused by the armchair experts - yet if VF2 bumper ducting & bonnet vents were fake the same people would be criticising it for this alone. Then there's the exhaust note - maybe KIA could go for fake, simulated sound here also?