Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing 1.25T boat across the Nullabor ... aftermarket oil cooler?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
This is so very, very true ... and it’s why I cling to the guy I’m currently using for grim life.
Also why I use him rather than a dealer, including within warranty etc, even though he’s a 45-minute drive away & the commute to work goes from half an hour to 1.75 hours each way when he works on it ...
Get a job or move closer to your mechanic :rolleyes:. Just kidding.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
He needs to be convinced to move closer to me ... more central location, more potential custom! :)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This could get weird.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Do you use anything special to display all that data, mine I can get Coolant & Intake. But I don't get Oil Pressure or Oil Temp, how do I get those?

I downloaded the extra GM PID on Torque app.

The transmission related PIDs need the “OBD header to use” option changed from blank to 7e2 which is the Trans ID

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
A Trans cooler would be a good idea,
And probably get the Transmission service for the sake of it, because it will be working hard,
Although, when you get the momentum up, you should be ok, its just the stop/starts, overtaking and hills you have to drag it over, and get your brakes checked, because you have to Stop the whole rig sometime.
In other words, check and service the essentials.
However -
On a side note,
I would get the Wheel Bearings and seals serviced/replaced on the trailer,
because there's not to many Bearing places out there on the Nullarbor,
And if it happens, It will happen out the BFN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullarbor_Plain#/media/File:Nullarbor_Plain_Road_Sign_DSC04541.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullarbor_Plain#/media/File:Nullarbor_Plain_Escarpment_DSC04558.JPG

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Film the whole trip and sell it to SBS.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Or a remake of the "Leyland Brothers" :D

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Don’t be cheap, get a satphone and live stream :p

Moph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V wagon
I would get the Wheel Bearings and seals serviced/replaced on the trailer, because there's not to may Bearing places out there on the Nullarbor, And if it happens, It will happen out the BFN.

Yep, will treat it to new bearings and tyres before heading off. Also will carry a spare set of bearings, grease and maybe even a spare hub.

I'm thinking of converting it from leaf spring to torsion axle when I get it over here so don't want to spend much on it, but I'm also not keen on being stuck on the Nullabor. Had complete bearing failure once already with the camping trailer in Karijini National Park ... I learned my lesson then :D

Moph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V wagon
Just to complete the thread - had a new 1700kg ATM single axle trailer built in WA, towed it across, loaded the boat on and towed it back. Tare weight 500kg on the way over and loaded weight ~1.3T on the way back. Removed the windscreen to keep windage to a minimum.

Monitored temps with Torq and saw a maximum ATF temp of 96°C in ambient of 34°C going through hills at 110kph. Most of the time it sat around 82-86°C on the open road with mid-30s ambients. No issues at all with the stock cooler.

Engine coolant temps were 81-86° and engine oil temp 98-104°C; the vast majority of the time was at the lower end of those ranges with the higher end being through sustained hills. Temps may have dropped lower at night but I wasn't really monitoring then.

I used cruise the whole way - 100kph in WA and 110kph in SA. Economy with the 3.6L V6 was:

Trailer only: 10.8L/100km @ 100kph; 12.2L/100km @ 110kph
Loaded: 12.0L/100km @ 100kph; 13.5L/100km @ 110kph

No attempt made at economy driving - I'd just hit cruise resume at town boundaries and tap the brake coming into the next town.