Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS3] Cam Upgrade

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
IMHO, since you have Maloo with LSA you really need some note.......

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I’m new to this LSA rebuild so I’m flying blind. OP means what? Is that a PD blower cam? I don’t really think I need to make more power at 6k. I wanted to go small not to lose the torque down low. Magna flow, just googling it now.
Put on a Magna Flow and people at work will know you're coming. I think they sound bad arse, but I could be biased....

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
I’m new to this LSA rebuild so I’m flying blind. OP means what? Is that a PD blower cam? I don’t really think I need to make more power at 6k. I wanted to go small not to lose the torque down low. Magna flow, just googling it now.
Magna Flow. I could definitely do that.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I tried to update myself on a blower cam. Couldn’t really find a specific explanation. It’s not a cam required with a supercharger, is it.

This is all I found ..blower cams are usually more radical but whith the blower it seems to calm the idle down a bit allowing you to turn a more aggressive cam on the street.

Just re reading your thread. Bit to take in there. 230 exhaust. Ok, got it thank you. Forget the other stuff.
So your saying I should run LSA 114 224/230 or something like that?
the LS9 cam is a good dedicated PD blower camshaft that will meet factory idle and emissions and make power, for the PD blower a intake duration in the early 220's is fine but the exhaust is where it needs help as the factory LS9 shows, keeping the lower intake duration helps it with manners and the wide lsa 122.5 stops the intake and exhaust mixing up with overlap, a PD blower as its all inward flow u dont need overlap as there is always pressure on the intake valve and soon as it cracks open it starts to flow in, if u have too much overlap it will also bleed straight out the exhaust especially at the higher rpms BUT if u sacrifice some top end that overlap can also help move torque around the bottom to mid and another BUT that also affects idle as well, so its all a give and take as to where u want to go,

if u search on the LS9 camshaft in LSA u can see the results, also if u move the intake closing point later u should always bump up the compression especially on the LSA as the 9.4 comp ? is ok with stock cam but soon as u go bigger or later intake closing events that compression lowers even further (dynamic compression) making the cruising areas less efficient which u want to keep it good for every day driving, bit to consider depending on how far u have already gone

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If going exhaust a 3" Di Filippo is probably top of the line, followed by Magna Flow. Either of those will sound hot.

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
IMHO, since you have Maloo with LSA you really need some note......
PD blowers like more exhaust in a camshaft, even the stock LS9 has 230deg exhaust which should be a minimum.
the LS9 cam is a good dedicated PD blower camshaft that will meet factory idle and emissions and make power, for the PD blower a intake duration in the early 220's is fine but the exhaust is where it needs help as the factory LS9 shows, keeping the lower intake duration helps it with manners and the wide lsa 122.5 stops the intake and exhaust mixing up with overlap, a PD blower as its all inward flow u dont need overlap as there is always pressure on the intake valve and soon as it cracks open it starts to flow in, if u have too much overlap it will also bleed straight out the exhaust especially at the higher rpms BUT if u sacrifice some top end that overlap can also help move torque around the bottom to mid and another BUT that also affects idle as well, so its all a give and take as to where u want to go,

if u search on the LS9 camshaft in LSA u can see the results, also if u move the intake closing point later u should always bump up the compression especially on the LSA as the 9.4 comp ? is ok with stock cam but soon as u go bigger or later intake closing events that compression lowers even further (dynamic compression) making the cruising areas less efficient which u want to keep it good for every day driving, bit to consider depending on how far u have already gone
I’ve really just transfer 10k into the engine builders account. I’m looking at the crow cams catalog now. So if I lowered the IN to 212-216 and the EX to say 219 or 222 with a LSA of 114? What about that? I know you said that the Ex should be 230. So a 222/230 Rough idle, big lift. God there is a lot to this.

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
If going exhaust a 3" Di Filippo is probably top of the line, followed by Magna Flow. Either of those will sound hot.
3.5” and you start to lose back pressure? Someone told me that today.

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo

Great information thank you. I can see you really know your stuff.

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
Great information thank you. I can see you really know your stuff.
If I said I just wanted a mild cam with a smooth idle. I prefer the torque down low as I’ll be getting my licence back around the time it’s finished and I love to keep it for while. I don’t need to be breaking speed records. What cam would you suggest for me?