Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS3] Cam Upgrade

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
If I said I just wanted a mild cam with a smooth idle. I prefer the torque down low as I’ll be getting my licence back around the time it’s finished and I love to keep it for while. I don’t need to be breaking speed records. What cam would you suggest for me?
Stock the LSA 117 204°/211°

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
its hard to tell and can be a personal preference as to how camshafts drive/feel, usually only find out the complete feel after its installed and fired up, somewhere in the area of the cam u are looking at will be fine for daylie, the LS9 will prob have better manners but may have slightly less torque peak, just try get as much info as u can with any camshafts ur looking at and videos of it idling/driving will help, even if its used n/a then with boost u will pick up power everywhere but usually in the same looking graph

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
PD blowers like more exhaust in a camshaft, even the stock LS9 has 230deg exhaust which should be a minimum otherwise ur choking it

Yeah ok. LS9 Factory settings 211/230. With a LSA of 122. The Maloo’s LSA from the factory is 117. Ok, got a chart here now after a few videos. Say 225/240 =+50hp 225/250 =+75 hp exhaust duration longer. Saying LSA anywhere between 155-122.

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
Yeah ok. LS9 Factory settings 211/230. With a LSA of 122. The Maloo’s LSA from the factory is 117. Ok, got a chart here now after a few videos. Say 225/240 =+50hp 225/250 =+75 hp exhaust duration longer. Saying LSA anywhere between 155-122.
The intake figure it higher too 235/250 =+75hp. I see where the measurements. I just been on the internet and realised how much I don’t know. I think I got to put the brakes on and get this worked out. I thought it was relatively simple. Not so.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
u can get too long for a streeter too as the more exhaust duration u have u also have to start the opening earlier so that will loose torque down low after a point, the exhaust valve starts to open on the power stroke so the earlier it opens helps get combustion out but also less of the combustion is then pushing on the piston so that in turn if u want top end u go far more and earlier and tailor it back to move some power back down, i like the Brian Tooley range camshafts for PD blowers u can check those out in the stages see how they look and see what ur builder thinks also

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
Does the OP need to make power past 6k on a DD? My NA comes alive from about 3500 up to 5500 and that's more than enough to get me pinched in third gear, hahahaha. Having the PD would add a fair bit of fun from a stop or rolling start. Shame not to have a Magna Flow or something else though.....
I dont rev it passed 5,000rpm. Starts telling me to change gear about then. A PD? a positive displacement blower??

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
u can get too long for a streeter too as the more exhaust duration u have u also have to start the opening earlier so that will loose torque down low after a point, the exhaust valve starts to open on the power stroke so the earlier it opens helps get combustion out but also less of the combustion is then pushing on the piston so that in turn if u want top end u go far more and earlier and tailor it back to move some power back down, i like the Brian Tooley range camshafts for PD blowers u can check those out in the stages see how they look and see what ur builder thinks also
Thank you. I totally get it now. Wish someone had explained it like that before. Just spoke to the engine builder
He said 219/236 with an LSA 114, Sounds better.

Last edited:

Listy821

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE HSV Maloo
Just spoke to the engine builder
We settled on 219/236 with an LSA 114.
Thoughts?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
How streetable will that cam be with your transmission and rear gears?

What is your transmission and rear gears?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
what is the lift on the 219 intake ? have to be careful with the lower durations also as they usually have over .600 lift which can be harder on the valvetrain