Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the EX-Holden Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hi Doctor Bob,

Yes it is blue, I checked the serial no. and it is VZ Adventurer.

I installed the instrument cluster and it seemed to work, fuel gauge worked, Radio displays, gear selector, power button, trac control, but when I first switched on the key it came up with Airbag fault. I believe this may be due to it coming from an Adventurer which may not have the same airbags as my SV6.

However now that I have put my old SV6 cluster back in the Airbag fault is still up.

To me this proves that the cluster is working and talking to the car computers.

The tech said - tried to program cluster, but could not gain signals, contacted GM Interpertor and cluster has no serial data and cannot be programed.

Do you think he meant that it didn't comunicate at all or didn't provide serial number data when comunicating.

Do you think that the Holden Tech could have done something wrong when he went to program it? I can remember being there when they had to reset an error with the CD player, and the Tech had to get an extra cable to make Tech2 talk to the VZ, I think the Tech2 talks straight to VY but needs another cable for VZ. Is this correct?

I am thinking of trying them again but I know it is going to cost me whether it works or not. Anyhow I need to go there and have the Airbag fault reset.

Thanks again

David

Went to Holden today, was told that once the VIN is burnt into the cluster it cannot be reprogrammed for another car. Wish they had told me that earlier.
Do you agree with this statement?
Now booked it to have Airbag fault reset Thursday.

David

the can module is only needed if they need to work with the engine module, all the others are on a different comms bus.

It may not have comms as the airbag will fault if it sees a different configuration in the cluster (or no config)
the cluster can be programmed to suit another car with a tech2 provided it has comms etc.
the dealers have no way of altering the VIN number programmed into it but it can be done ;)

Rob

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hi Dr Bob
Put a nokia CK-7w car kit in my 05 VZ SV6 over the weekend which works fine - mutes the stereo, volume control through the wheel mounted controls, etc, and now the stereo wont turn off when i open the drivers door. Tried disconnecting the car kit to see if it would make any difference but its still the same. Tried doing a master reset on the stereo as well as checking the options for door accessory control and still no go. The only thing i didn't try was disconnecting the battery.
Its like the stereo has got a mind of its own - it wont turn on/off with the ignition switch either
Got any ideas?

is the acc control relay switching off?
if so you may have something wrong with where the wiring is connected to the radio, did you use the factory phone wiring?
Rob

zacz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Quicksilver Monaro CV8Z M6
Hello

I have a problem with a whistle from my LS1 between idle and 2000rpm. It is an electrical issue....and therefore its more noticeable with more accessories on (such as air cond, or lights)

1) Always whistles on startup, then slowly dissapears. This can even be heard from inside the car
2) With accessories on such as lights and air (or when cooling fans come on), the noise is constantly there....

Any ideas on what it is and how to fix it? Ive been told its the "High Outut Alternator" and that its a common thing for them to whistle under load - but THAT MUCH?

Also - it wasnt there for the first 10000km - i would have picked it up if it was.....so i know its more than just electrical noise!!

Holden claim they have changed the alternator - but its still making the same noise....

Hoping someone can help me get to the bottom of this!

Thanks

Zac

suppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Impulse Blue SV6 Manual
is the acc control relay switching off?
if so you may have something wrong with where the wiring is connected to the radio, did you use the factory phone wiring?
Rob

Found the problem last night, seems that i blew 2 fuses but only replaced one ( the 15 amp stereo one)obviously the 7.5 amp one is for the relay.
Yep, used the factory wiring, got it all sorted now, radio mutes on calls, volume control via the stereo.

The only thing left to do is wire up the holden phone buttons....

Thanks Rob

Marc

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Found the problem last night, seems that i blew 2 fuses but only replaced one ( the 15 amp stereo one)obviously the 7.5 amp one is for the relay.
Yep, used the factory wiring, got it all sorted now, radio mutes on calls, volume control via the stereo.

The only thing left to do is wire up the holden phone buttons....

Thanks Rob

Marc

**** , shouldve remembered that one ive seen it before :bang:

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hello

I have a problem with a whistle from my LS1 between idle and 2000rpm. It is an electrical issue....and therefore its more noticeable with more accessories on (such as air cond, or lights)

1) Always whistles on startup, then slowly dissapears. This can even be heard from inside the car
2) With accessories on such as lights and air (or when cooling fans come on), the noise is constantly there....

Any ideas on what it is and how to fix it? Ive been told its the "High Outut Alternator" and that its a common thing for them to whistle under load - but THAT MUCH?

Also - it wasnt there for the first 10000km - i would have picked it up if it was.....so i know its more than just electrical noise!!

Holden claim they have changed the alternator - but its still making the same noise....

Hoping someone can help me get to the bottom of this!

Thanks

Zac

some of those alternators do whistle pretty loud when theyre working hard yes, bung another battery in it see what happens

Rob

Muz-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT SS Supercharged
Fast flashing mode switch LED - VT Supercharged

Dr Bob,

I had a strange one today, I started the car ready to drive off (normal engine temp and only been parked for say 10min) and noticed the “check engine” light stayed on just a few seconds longer than normal, then it went out. I then noticed the red led on the Mode Button flashing like crazy with the motor running.:confused:

I switched off the engine and restarted, same thing happened again. I drove back to the office, say 15min drive (check engine light out, but red led flashing like mad) the car drove like normal.

Jumped in 4 hours later to drive home and all was well (check engine light went out in normal time and red led was off).

I have a 99 VT V6 supercharged, had the car since new and have never seen the red led flashing with the engine running.

Any ideas what's going on ????

Cheers,
Muz

Just noticed in the owners manual, the number of flashes from the led relates to Alarm System sectors such as doors, bonnet, etc. My car has no factory or after market alarm system fitted.

Last edited:

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Dr Bob,

I had a strange one today, I started the car ready to drive off (normal engine temp and only been parked for say 10min) and noticed the “check engine” light stayed on just a few seconds longer than normal, then it went out. I then noticed the red led on the Mode Button flashing like crazy with the motor running.:confused:

I switched off the engine and restarted, same thing happened again. I drove back to the office, say 15min drive (check engine light out, but red led flashing like mad) the car drove like normal.

Jumped in 4 hours later to drive home and all was well (check engine light went out in normal time and red led was off).

I have a 99 VT V6 supercharged, had the car since new and have never seen the red led flashing with the engine running.

Any ideas what's going on ????

Cheers,
Muz

Just noticed in the owners manual, the number of flashes from the led relates to Alarm System sectors such as doors, bonnet, etc. My car has no factory or after market alarm system fitted.

this normally indicates a problem with the BCM, first thing try & make sure the key reader is clean & making good contact with the key, if its still no good replace the remote or try another, next step is to get a diode harness to stop transient spiking on the key reader circuit from holden & fit that, if it still has issues it will need a new BCM
Rob

Muz-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT SS Supercharged
this normally indicates a problem with the BCM, first thing try & make sure the key reader is clean & making good contact with the key, if its still no good replace the remote or try another, next step is to get a diode harness to stop transient spiking on the key reader circuit from holden & fit that, if it still has issues it will need a new BCM
Rob

Thanks for your prompt reply,
I have checked the contact between key and reader and it looks ok, I have cleaned the key and key reader with electrical contact cleaner, we’ll see how we go !

Cheers,
Muz

Status
Not open for further replies.