Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

staring at P-platers

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
i always knew how P-platers, especially in commodores were known as "trouble makers" and "hoons" etc....and omg i didn't realise how bad it was! i just got my P's, 2 days ago in fact, and i've done a fair bit of driving so far, and damn i never had this many stares on my L's!! everyone just has to look at you when they go past, or if they're walking on the footpath they'll just stare...unbelievable! i had a couple of people in the car with me (parents' vr) and one of my friends said "man i love how people stare at P platers" coz she noticed a fair amount of people staring at us in the 10 minute drive that we went on. one bloke in particular was opening the door to his shop while i was at the lights...and i saw out of the corner of my eye that he was staring. i turned and looked at him, he kept staring, i looked away and out of the corner of my eye, i could see he was still staring. i notice this more with older people, like 50 -60 yr olds in their corollas and other tiny buzz boxes. they seem to love staring at me. another instance, i got out of the car in a parking bay i had some lady give me a dirty look, and this bloke getting into his van next to me gave me a nice stare. bloody hell, does any other P-plater notice this? when i'm in the car with my mate in his astra, we get a few stares, but nowhere near as many as we do in the vr.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Right....i think you are imagining alot of this. Most epopel really do not give a crap if you are on P's or not. Perhaps you should wind your seat up a little, turn down the music and look like you are driving a vehicle? :)

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
i used to get that heaps too when i was on my Ps. Back then i was driving a kitted vn with big wheels and a loud exhaust tho... It happened a lot more in 'older neighbourhoods', for instance glenelg or novar gardens for those who live in Adelaide.

It felt as if they were waiting in anticipation of something... but im not sure what!

The day i got off my P's, still driving the same car, the looks stopped. Now that I've sold the car I never get noticed anymore. :(

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
havent noticed it ever, i keep my music down in most public places anyway, no need to look like a tool, or let theives know that i have a sub

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
havent noticed it ever, i keep my music down in most public places anyway, no need to look like a tool, or let theives know that i have a sub

hahah man i would be worried about the sub or music in relation to noise.... the extreme whining from you engine bay, pulsing of exhaust and front mount coler may give your theives somehting to think about!

lol..

aZK.

P.s> yeah i get looked at al the time.. maninly cos my car is **** hot and everyone wants it :p

aZk.

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
minux relax man.....i dont sit like a sick **** or have loud music. firstly, sitting back like an idiot is uncomfortable and stupid, and loud music annoys me. why do you assumed i am like this? and no i'm not imagining it. why would i waste my time posting a thread if i was "imagining" all of this? my friends who come with me even said they've noticed staring. my other P-plate friends say they get more stares than tehy did on their L's, but not that much (they all drive cars like pulsars, astras, etc)

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
had an old lady drop her jaw at the sight of me in my car once, dont know what i did, wasnt flooring it or even shufflign all that quick, just quietly minding my own business. looked like something out of the exorcist.... kinda scary hahah

but no, while i was on my P's i was ignored by the public at large cut off, people diving out in front of me and police never giving me a second glance......

apart from the fact i wasn't going to pull chicks in a car like mine in a hurry, i was happy with the situation.

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
** by the way i'm not trying to start a whole "everyone hates P-platers" thread, i just wanted to know what other P-platers, or used-to-be-P-platers have experienced. :)

ssmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss thunder
P.s> yeah i get looked at al the time.. maninly cos my car is **** hot and everyone wants it :p

aZk.

hahaha yer me too . . . lol

cant say i ever really noticed it! unless i did something to deserve the stare ie: takin off from the light quicker to reach speed limit!

but im sure anyone walking along would give that a look
i do myself, and normal think to myself, "damn, nice car" or "what a wanker"
put it this way u wont get stared at, if u dont dont do something for ppl to look at