Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Higher octane fuels - your own comments.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Most car owners will simply refuse to pay more for their fuel when they don't have to but you might want to check out the current batch of fuel offerings in your own vehicle before opting for the generic unleaded.

It's not rocket science or ever argued that a higher octane fuel gives more HP, it simply does, and also does it without buying engine mods or touching a single spanner.

It's always been a fact that some cars prefer a particular brand, and while true to an extent, in these times when several service stations are sometimes fed from the same tanker, it could also be said that some theories are all in your head when saying Car A goes better with Brand B fuel, however there are indeed different fuels being sold and it may be worth the extra few cents to try each in your weapon of choice.

PULP or premium unleaded fuel will make most engines idle smoother, have more power and run cleaner, so why not sell the one fuel I hear, compression ratios and engine design make the differences so vast they would not be able to sell just one.

One I have been using lately is Caltex Vortex, a 98 octane rocket fuel that has done wonders for my own fuel costs and use, and it seems that many other cars also like sipping the stuff, in most cars tried it has shown a huge power increase across the board and cut fuel use by one third or more, not too shabby IMO.

The good old STD unleaded fuel is roughly 87 octane which can change either way depending on the blend or brand, I should also mention that the old leaded Super fuel was about 92 octane for comparison purposes, PULP will come in at 92 - 95 and it's benefits are well known and documented, of course the newer offerings at 98 are showing huge benefits in any V6 or V8 commodore.

To put a view on the RON # good old Methanol comes in at 160, the stuff that burns with an invisible flame, as used in US CART race cars, while it will show a 100% + increase in HP it's a (DO NOT) for the old commodore, it also needs virtually twice the volume of fuel to run so unless your a race engineer don't even think about it, in the old days on race bikes we doubled all jet sizes and then worked from there, but that's a long tuning story, plus it also does not mix with petrol.

One thing that should be noted is that it's never recomended is to mix PULP and petrol together, so if you intend to swap over either drain the tank or use as much of whatever you have before the change as the two are not meant to live together, 5 lit /50 lit PULP would be my own limit, but less would be best.

Most petrol heads have messed with the old BP 100 and similar ratings with good results, and with some expensive aviation blend fuels running over the 100 RON # that are common in many high performance bike and cart engines, high performance outboard engines also appreciate PULP, Shell used to put out a 110 MB fuel that works well in the MX bike etc.

There is a catch with high octane PULP petrol, it loses octane quickly over a matter of weeks, so your 95 may end up being < 90 after a couple months or less, just try to remember that, but cars that do 100k + a day it matters little, diesel fuel also loses it's zap over time, and over a long time it grows a bacterial crap in it that requires treatment, I've had three diesels so it does happen, they still make a winter and summer blend diesel.

I would be interested to see what other users of various fuels have found in respects of fuel use and horsepower, of course the ethanol based fuels are not to be mentioned for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Did you write that yourself or is it from another source? If so you need to credit where it was taken from.

I think its a mix and match as different octane ratings are used throughout the post (hence the lower octane ratings such as 87 octane for standard unleaded...thats using US/Canadian octane ratings not Australian octane ratings which would put standard unleaded at 91 octane), and its talking about US fuels and octane ratings at first but then mentions commodores later. Theres also some misinformation there.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
LOL.. BP Vortex..

I filled up with BP Vortex in my Holden Falcon, whilst munching on a Cadbury Kitkat in my Adidas Air Jordans..

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
If by that comment you mean to say the posting is plagiarism in as much as it was copied, translated or changed, No it was not copied in any way, shape or form, not from any document whatsoever.

FYI, From my memory of personal experience and use of many different fuel both on track and off, and some info from personal conversations with a fuel company representative following the purchase of 800lit of dirty PULP and the following cleanup problem it caused with 2 X 400 lit underfloor fuel tanks on my boat.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
LOL.. BP Vortex..

I filled up with BP Vortex in my Holden Falcon, whilst munching on a Cadbury Kitkat in my Adidas Air Jordans..

.....lol be nice.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
If by that comment you mean to say the posting is plagiarism in as much as it was copied, translated or changed, No it was not copied in any way, shape or form, not from any document whatsoever.
No worries, as you can hopefully understand when a lengthy detailed post such as yours is published people have the right to ask if it was your work. I didn't accuse you of plagiarising, I merely asked the question.

I will keep an eye on the thread if any more issues are raised that aren't relevant to the topic at hand they will be removed.

NewSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6000
Pulp...

Most car owners will simply refuse to pay more for their fuel when they don't have to but you might want to check out the current batch of fuel offerings in your own vehicle before opting for the generic unleaded.

It's not rocket science or ever argued that a higher octane fuel gives more HP, it simply does, and also does it without buying engine mods or touching a single spanner.

It's always been a fact that some cars prefer a particular brand, and while true to an extent, in these times when several service stations are sometimes fed from the same tanker, it could also be said that some theories are all in your head when saying Car A goes better with Brand B fuel, however there are indeed different fuels being sold and it may be worth the extra few cents to try each in your weapon of choice.

PULP or premium unleaded fuel will make most engines idle smoother, have more power and run cleaner, so why not sell the one fuel I hear, compression ratios and engine design make the differences so vast they would not be able to sell just one.

One I have been using lately is BP Vortex, a 98 octane rocket fuel that has done wonders for my own fuel costs and use, and it seems that many other cars also like sipping the stuff, in most cars tried it has shown a huge power increase across the board and cut fuel use by one third or more, not too shabby IMO.

The good old STD unleaded fuel is roughly 87 octane which can change either way depending on the blend or brand, I should also mention that the old leaded Super fuel was about 92 octane for comparison purposes, PULP will come in at 92 - 95 and it's benefits are well known and documented, of course the newer offerings at 98 are showing huge benefits in any V6 or V8 commodore.

To put a view on the RON # good old Methanol comes in at 160, the stuff that burns with an invisible flame, as used in US CART race cars, while it will show a 100% + increase in HP it's a (DO NOT) for the old commodore, it also needs virtually twice the volume of fuel to run so unless your a race engineer don't even think about it, in the old days on race bikes we doubled all jet sizes and then worked from there, but that's a long tuning story, plus it also does not mix with petrol.

One thing that should be noted is that it's never recomended is to mix PULP and petrol together, so if you intend to swap over either drain the tank or use as much of whatever you have before the change as the two are not meant to live together, 5 lit /50 lit PULP would be my own limit, but less would be best.

Most petrol heads have messed with the old BP 100 and similar ratings with good results, and with some expensive aviation blend fuels running over the 100 RON # that are common in many high performance bike and cart engines, high performance outboard engines also appreciate PULP, Shell used to put out a 110 MB fuel that works well in the MX bike etc.

There is a catch with high octane PULP petrol, it loses octane quickly over a matter of weeks, so your 95 may end up being < 90 after a couple months or less, just try to remember that, but cars that do 100k + a day it matters little, diesel fuel also loses it's zap over time, and over a long time it grows a bacterial crap in it that requires treatment, I've had three diesels so it does happen, they still make a winter and summer blend diesel.

I would be interested to see what other users of various fuels have found in respects of fuel use and horsepower, of course the ethanol based fuels are not to be mentioned for obvious reasons.

I have been using PULP for around 7 or 8 years now in a variety of cars.

To start I had an EL company Falcon and when I ran it on PULP the economy certainly increased. The saving far outweighed the extra cost per litre. The power increase of the dear Falcon was not really noticable, (or maybe because I disliked the car I just ignored it)....

I drive a Clubsport now and have only used PULP because of the tune and factory recommendations.
I used to have a Crewman Cross Eight, in the early life of the car I ran standard juice but switched to PULP and it visibly improved both performance and economy. I then tuned it and ran PULP permenantly.

How good it would be to have one higher octane fuel at a reasonable cost.....
:thumbsup:

plAythiNG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive V6
lol dude,when u were writing, u sounded pretty smart, but when u said "BP Vortex".. lmao....speechless

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
while were on the topic of fuel... i heard on the old wireless last week that bp is now adding ethanol to their fuels, but i didnt catch what fuels they were adding it to, anyone got any more info about this? or are all companies now using ethanol to keep prices low??