Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Higher octane fuels - your own comments.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
while were on the topic of fuel... i heard on the old wireless last week that bp is now adding ethanol to their fuels, but i didnt catch what fuels they were adding it to, anyone got any more info about this? or are all companies now using ethanol to keep prices low??

All fuel companies most certainly are not adding ethanol to their fuel.

BP's fuel will be added to their 91 Regular Unleaded and part of it will come from animal fat as well I think.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I have been using PULP for around 7 or 8 years now in a variety of cars.

To start I had an EL company Falcon and when I ran it on PULP the economy certainly increased. The saving far outweighed the extra cost per litre. The power increase of the dear Falcon was not really noticable, (or maybe because I disliked the car I just ignored it)....

I drive a Clubsport now and have only used PULP because of the tune and factory recommendations.
I used to have a Crewman Cross Eight, in the early life of the car I ran standard juice but switched to PULP and it visibly improved both performance and economy. I then tuned it and ran PULP permenantly.

How good it would be to have one higher octane fuel at a reasonable cost.....
:thumbsup:

Interesting. I did this experiment about 2 years go in my VYII SS Manual and found exactly the opposite. I recorded average l/100 for a few weeks and then ran the pulp for about 3 months. I recorded the average several times during this time and found a marginal increase in km per tank but not enough to justify the extra cost.

As for HP - without putting it on a dyno or down the 1/4 I couldn't say for sure. It would be a very small gain if anything.

They were Shell fuels used for this experiment at all times.

Reaper

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
They were Shell fuels used for this experiment at all times.

Reaper

Well theres your problem :p

The VN gets about 30 further on a tank of 98 octane Ultimate or Synergy 8000... Doesn't sound like much but I only get around 370km's to a tank so thats actually almost 10%. I only did a month on each though but i've ran 98 octane ever since.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Well theres your problem :p

The VN gets about 30 further on a tank of 98 octane Ultimate or Synergy 8000... Doesn't sound like much but I only get around 370km's to a tank so thats actually almost 10%. I only did a month on each though but i've ran 98 octane ever since.

Hehe yeah - a friend swears by the Syn 8000 but Mobil get ****ty when I try to pay with a Shell card.

Reaper

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
I normally get about 30 - 35 km a tank extra when using PULP, which isn't why i use it, i use it because i would rather pay a little bit extra to have a nicer fuel.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i always try to run 98 in the VC, i used 91 on saurday and it ran like crap, drank a lot more and had noticebly less power ( its only got 100kw stock so you notice it more ).

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
I never use low octane my old thumper doesnt even start on 91 95 isnt much better damn point ignition just dont cut it with the new gas best results from blue avgas and it has lead allways put high octane in the commodore and can feel the difference when you put 98 in there and after readin up on the gm code in the ecu and reading this "Low Octane Spark Retard
Permanently removes 5d of advance when persistent knock is detected. Restart will restore lost advance. Not in earlier cals.
Not the same as normal knock retard feature, which recovers more quickly

I wont be putting low octane in there or turning up the timing too far

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
I get slightly further using votex 95 than i do with standard, which is the same as 98. so 98 is worse than 95 for my car.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
lol dude,when u were writing, u sounded pretty smart, but when u said "BP Vortex".. lmao....speechless

My bad the local servo was a BP for 50 + years, so it's now Caltex, the Vortex was the point, old habits, we still fill up at the BP even if it aint.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I get extra 40km per tank using BP ult in my VS. I do also notice that my idle is actually better. Performance wise - I didn't notice much improvements.