Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV double-row timing chain vs timing gears

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I use Double Row From RollMaster with Kilkenny Casting Timing Cover,was thinking gilmer but decided againt's it
Why'd you decide against the gilmer belt?? I'd love to go down that road when I get rid of my gears... Sound even more like it's supercharged!
i've also heard that timing gears aren't compatible with knock sensors as the PCM will think it's knocking/pinging etc not a problem unless you have an HSV or have fitted a knock sensor.
I have no idea whether I have a knock sensor or not...someone in another thread said they're on all 5L motors from VR onwards... I'm not sure who to believe.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
I use Double Row From RollMaster with Kilkenny Casting Timing Cover,was thinking gilmer but decided againt's it

I think your on the wrong page? Ive never seen a Gilmer belt used for cam drive well not on any holden motors anyway. I think your talking about Gilmer belt for alternator, A/C ect?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Why'd you decide against the gilmer belt?? I'd love to go down that road when I get rid of my gears... Sound even more like it's supercharged!

I have no idea whether I have a knock sensor or not...someone in another thread said they're on all 5L motors from VR onwards... I'm not sure who to believe.
The only 5.0lt's to run knock sensors are the VN-VS HSV's and the VT roller blocks.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Thanks AirStrike, that's helpful info. I'm not sure either how RVN 355 related a gilmer belt to a timing chain... Still he's got an awesome car so we can let him off right? My comment still stands though :) I'd look into a gilmer if/when I get rid of these gears. Honestly, is there anyone who doesn't like the way they sound?? (Rhetorical question not meaning to go off track lol)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think your on the wrong page? Ive never seen a Gilmer belt used for cam drive well not on any holden motors anyway. I think your talking about Gilmer belt for alternator, A/C ect?

i've only ever seen a belt drive cam setup for chevy

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
OK just to get back on track, there's no reason I shouldn't get a double-row chain to replace my straight-cut gears, right?? I'll start looking into it. Should I be looking for a standard HSV one or an aftermarket item?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
OK just to get back on track, there's no reason I shouldn't get a double-row chain to replace my straight-cut gears, right?? I'll start looking into it. Should I be looking for a standard HSV one or an aftermarket item?

rollermaster or JP double row is all you need. best to get the variable timing one so you can degree the cam properly

tropical^fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais 5.0
The only 5.0lt's to run knock sensors are the VN-VS HSV's and the VT roller blocks.

thats correct...
Also all non HSV injected 5.0's ran single chain timing gear from the production line, although as time goes on they do stretch so they may have been replaced at a shop/dealer with stronger double row kits. HSV's came standard with the double row chains.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
immortality, will I get anything out of a variable chain, having a stock cam? My whole motor is internally stock except the gears (which don't really count as internals anyway)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
possibly not on a stock standard engine, although you never know how the factory cam was timed or variation in factory production lines etc