Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV double-row timing chain vs timing gears

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
thats correct...
Also all non HSV injected 5.0's ran single chain timing gear from the production line, although as time goes on they do stretch so they may have been replaced at a shop/dealer with stronger double row kits. HSV's came standard with the double row chains.

What is your source of that information? I have NEVER heard of someone pulling down an efi 5L and finding a single row chain.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
immortality, will I get anything out of a variable chain, having a stock cam? My whole motor is internally stock except the gears (which don't really count as internals anyway)

Nope. Could be fun for experimentation purposes, but that's about it. Rule of thumb is that 4 degrees of advance moves your powerband down 200rpm, 4 degrees of retard moves it 200rpm up. There's also a trick I read about on another forum recently of installing a new cam 1 degree advanced so that when the chain stretches it ends up being pretty much straight up.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Nope. Could be fun for experimentation purposes, but that's about it. Rule of thumb is that 4 degrees of advance moves your powerband down 200rpm, 4 degrees of retard moves it 200rpm up. There's also a trick I read about on another forum recently of installing a new cam 1 degree advanced so that when the chain stretches it ends up being pretty much straight up.

the way i understand it is that retarding cam timing will adversly effect the torque created by the engine.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
the way i understand it is that retarding cam timing will adversly effect the torque created by the engine.

Quite possibly, but what torque the engine does make will be made at a higher engine speed. This is the point of vct, vvti, vtec etc do. They adjust cam timing on the go. Retarding a cam is not necessarily a bad thing and may yield higher peak power.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
All advancing or retarding the cam timing does it move peak torque higher or lower in the rev range. Cam timing will not adversly affect power, it only affects torque.

By definition your argument is flawed. Power is the product of torque and engine speed (in radians per second) It's not just peak torque that is moved by adjusting cam timing, it's the entire torque curve. Moving torque around moves the power band. Cam manufacturers tell you this in their documentation.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
OK so I won't worry about an adjustable timing chain setup, I'll just go with a double row direct swap. Thanks for the info though guys.
Unfortunately, due to university and a couple of other things out of my control, I can only just barely afford to keep my car serviced at the moment, even doing it myself at trade price. This chain could be a while coming. :(

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
OK so I won't worry about an adjustable timing chain setup, I'll just go with a double row direct swap. Thanks for the info though guys.
Unfortunately, due to university and a couple of other things out of my control, I can only just barely afford to keep my car serviced at the moment, even doing it myself at trade price. This chain could be a while coming. :(

I know the feeling mate. I'm at the end of my degree. Been a long four years of being dirt poor. :D

tropical^fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais 5.0
What is your source of that information? I have NEVER heard of someone pulling down an efi 5L and finding a single row chain.

good old Microcat and the HSV parts catalogues that i have at my disposal

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
good old Microcat and the HSV parts catalogues that i have at my disposal

Hmmm, interesting. :confused: A fella over on SC who also has access to the old microfiche reckons that VN onwards all had double row. I'd post the link, but apparently these forums don't like the words ****************. If you want it I'll PM it to ya. I'd like to know for sure because I was pretty certain that my chain was original when I pulled it down and it was a double row. :confused: