Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cops and p platers

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
I really couldn't answer that, I don't know that stats on that particular issue. I pull anyone because of what they're doing. If a P plater happends to be driving like a tool, then they get dealt with the same.

Well how about personal experiences? Have you pulled over more P Platers for reckless driving or speeding? We used to live next to a Policeman and in my area like 11 years ago he told us most of the people caught in my area were people with a major unroadworthy defect.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Word gets around real quick and everyone laughs at you.

I doubt that it would happen more than once to the same person.

Never doubt the stupidity of some people. I have seen a guy loose the same finger in 2 separate industrial accidents 1 year apart. The first time they sewed it back. The second time it was beyond repair. Both times were cause by his own stupidity (Having a smoke while rolling a curve into a steel pipe and leaning on it as it went thru the rollers).

Reaper

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
Never doubt the stupidity of some people. I have seen a guy loose the same finger in 2 separate industrial accidents 1 year apart. The first time they sewed it back. The second time it was beyond repair. Both times were cause by his own stupidity (Having a smoke while rolling a curve into a steel pipe and leaning on it as it went thru the rollers).

Reaper

another reason to mandrel bend.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Interesting this whole discussion regarding having strobes on your car etc etc...

The laws, AFAIK, are regarding impersonating Police, not copying Police cars. Anyway, these days, the dash mounts, grill mounts etc etc are all LEDs so unless they're on, they're clear. I have an Orange/Clear one somewhere and to just have it sitting on the dash isn't illegal. On when pulled over is like a hazard light but off and driving, for those that see it, gives them a scare and is totally LEGAL.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Interesting this whole discussion regarding having strobes on your car etc etc...

The laws, AFAIK, are regarding impersonating Police, not copying Police cars. Anyway, these days, the dash mounts, grill mounts etc etc are all LEDs so unless they're on, they're clear. I have an Orange/Clear one somewhere and to just have it sitting on the dash isn't illegal. On when pulled over is like a hazard light but off and driving, for those that see it, gives them a scare and is totally LEGAL.

So what your saying is that it’s legal to have either white or yellow ones? Which I couldn’t see why not? There not emergency services colours. If I get pulled over with them I can say my vehicle is used on an airport and must have these warning signals :) while yelling "MUHAHHAH" lol

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
another reason to mandrel bend.

All but the most recent mandrel benders can be lethal as well. Nearly lost a finger myself on one of them. Spent 10+ years in the metal bending/forming business and seen 7 fingers go (or is that 6???). A few were from stupidity and several were from guys who were very switched on.

Reaper

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII

As mentioned before, it's quite fine to have amber lights. That's how construction, security and tow trucks are able to have them.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
is it legal to have neons inside your car? what about outside your car? what colours are permitted, and can they flash =)

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
is it legal to have neons inside your car? what about outside your car? what colours are permitted, and can they flash =)

Yeah i want to know that to, i know outside ones are illegal but are interior ones?
The reason i ask my girlfriend bought me one as a present to sit above the cd player, so I have to use it for atleast a couple of months, or until it breaks so it looks like im grateful :whistling
I have driven passed the cops with it on and they didnt do anything, but i would like to know for sure, caus if its illegal thats a good reason to bin it lol. Oh and its blue by the way.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
Yeah i want to know that to, i know outside ones are illegal but are interior ones?
The reason i ask my girlfriend bought me one as a present to sit above the cd player, so I have to use it for atleast a couple of months, or until it breaks so it looks like im grateful :whistling
I have driven passed the cops with it on and they didnt do anything, but i would like to know for sure, caus if its illegal thats a good reason to bin it lol. Oh and its blue by the way.

Congratulations, you're about the 500th person to ask me that. I'm not surprised, there appears to be a lot of confusion. I don't believe there is any specific legislation that controls decorative lighting like neons, which is the reason why people don't know and have mixed opinions.

Decorative lighting is allowed as long as it is not distracting or dazzling to other motorists. Also as long as it adheres to vehicle registration standards.

Neons in particular:

Inside - What would be wrong with that? They can't be seen on the outside (typically) so there's no hassle to others on the road. And as long as they're not too bright inside the car.

Outside - As above, as long as they're not distracting or dazzling to others on the road. I wouldn't recommend having them flash. Just try to keep it to that glow effect so that you can't seen the actual globe.

Now that I've told you something that a certain law enforcement agency wants to keep quiet, I would suggest NOT reciting this post next time you're told off and threatened with a defect notice.