Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Learner Drivers

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Her past should NOT excuse her from this. She drove neglectfully, she took a human life. She should be charged the same as anybody else, and DEFINATELY have her license taken from her. So also should the person who let her get behind the wheel.

Why must we make concessions for people who will quite happily act like everybody else until they do something wrong, and then hide behind an ailment. Disgusting.

I'm a murderer: learner driver's scream at pedestrian carnage
Harriet Alexander
December 1, 2008
A learner driver, who surveyed the carnage after she mounted a footpath and accelerated into a group of pedestrians, screamed: "I'm a murderer, I'm a murderer."

A 20-year-old woman, Emma Hansen, was killed in the accident in Kogarah last year, and 11 others were injured.

But the Glebe Coroner's Court heard today that the driver, Rose Deng, is still permitted to hold a driver's licence because charges of negligent driving causing death were dismissed under the Mental Health Act this year.

Ms Deng, a Sudanese widow, had been visiting her son in hospital when a family friend offered to take her for a driving lesson for some relief. She was on her learner's licence.

The two drove to Port Botany but on their return Ms Deng's friend became concerned that she was not taking a corner sharply enough, so he placed his hand on the steering wheel to correct her driving, the court heard.

Ms Deng panicked, mounted the kerb and pressed the accelerator instead of the brake, the court was told.

Ms Hansen had just bought some sushi when the red Toyota Echo crashed into her, dragging her beneath the car into three bus stop poles.

The court heard that when the car finally came to a stop, Ms Deng began pulling her hair and smashing her head on the gutter.

"[She was] ripping all her hair out and screaming 'I'm a murderer, I'd rather die', just over and over again," Constable Kate Mansell, the first police officer to arrive, said.

Constable Mansell said Ms Deng also said, "I'm a murderer, I'm a murderer" and smashed her head on the gutter.

She said Ms Deng looked like she was having a fit.

Footage of the bus stop crash drew gasps of shock in the Coroner's Court on the first day of the inquest into Ms Hansen's death.

CCTV footage taken from the nearby ANZ Bank shows two women pushing strollers along the footpath, seconds before they were run down.

Several people were shown lying in the street amid debris.

Detective Sergeant John Kelly, the officer in charge of the crash investigation, told the court shoes, mobile phones, thongs, sushi rolls, a white blanket and a tipped-over pram were left strewn in the street.

Clumps of bloodied hair were found stuck to the car's shattered windscreen, he said.

Ms Hansen's friend, Portia Parkhill, was waiting to draw money from an automatic teller machine and looking into the eyes of her friend walking towards her with a sushi roll, when she saw a red car come up behind her.

"I remember looking up the street towards the newsagency, towards the intersection," Ms Parkhill told the court today of the day her friend was killed.

"And I saw the car, the red car, on the footpath, and I saw it behind Emma. I couldn't be sure if it was half on the footpath or totally on the footpath but I saw it [had] left the road.

"The next thing I knew I was sitting on the ground."

The closed circuit television footage showed Ms Parkhill suddenly thrown to the ground.

She told the court that she got up and heard men shouting and pointing to another one of her friends, Caroline Kim, who was lying on the ground. She rolled over Ms Kim, who appeared to revive. And then Ms Parkhill noticed one of Ms Hansen's cowboy boots on the ground.

"I knew she really liked that shoe and I thought, 'Why is her shoe there?' "

It was not until she had been to the hospital and was on her way home in the car that she received a call informing her that Ms Hansen was dead.

The inquest will also consider the competency of learner driver instructors and whether provisions should be introduced to disqualify drivers who have avoided charges under the Mental Health Act.

Ms Hansen's mother, Lynne Hansen, was at the inquest today, wearing a necklace with a diamond-encrusted "E" for "Emma" around her neck.

Outside the court, she said that she wore the necklace with her daughter's initial every day.

"She was gorgeous," she said of her daughter, pulling a photograph of the smiling fashion student from her wallet.

"She was model material. She went to Russia to help the kids, funded it all herself. She was a gorgeous girl."

Ms Deng's lawyer has previously told the court his client had endured torture in her Sudanese homeland before arriving in Australia in 1994 and that the crash had exacerbated an unspecified long-term "mental condition".

A mental health report has quoted Ms Deng as saying that if it were not for her children she would have killed herself after the accident.

Ms Deng is undergoing psychiatric treatment and did not appear in court today.

The hearing continues.

with AAP
What are other peoples thoughts on this??

Robbo_c

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais II,2007 Calais V
Pretty crap that she wasn't charged, how come it always seems to be sudanese or immigrants that stack on their learners. Im on my learners and i've never been involved in an accident i dont know how you would hit the accelerator instead of the brake anyway.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
It's a tragedy. Neither the driver nor the instructor should have been on the road but unfortunately you can't make it compulsory to attend L driver training such as L Trent because with the new 120 hours law, it would cost about $7800 (based on $65/hour lesson).

It's disgusting that she can ever drive again.

i dont know how you would hit the accelerator instead of the brake anyway.

Agreed. You should not be on the road if you can't distinguish between the pedals.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
trial her as a murdurer

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
says a lot for laws, i might go kill 10 people and just say i witnessed a bug get brutally killed when i was young and it scarred me for life.

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
Pretty crap that she wasn't charged, how come it always seems to be sudanese or immigrants that stack on their learners. Im on my learners and i've never been involved in an accident i dont know how you would hit the accelerator instead of the brake anyway.

simple mistake when yo **** yourself and you don't know what to do, and yo don't calm down and think... as stated "Ms Deng panicked"

But as for my opinion, she shouldn't be on the road....she SHOULD be trialed as a normal driver, learner or no learner, what was she doing "trying to drive" in a build up area, if she COULDN'T "drive", my very first driving lesson was in a factory area for 1h, about 10 cars passed us in that 1h...was a few lessons before I got to drive around other cars

EDIT: @TVR - and then say a bug hit your window before the crash and you broke down thinking of all those haunting memmories

-Merry Whatever-

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
WOW $65 for a Driving lesson. That's expensive. My Mum is a Driving Teacher, but didn't start teaching until after i got my P's... good timing aye! She had just come back from an Driver Teacher conference down in Sydney and she said, that there has been talk about a new law for all people to be able to do the full 110.

Coming home from Sydney on Sunday, i could see why the rule should be introduced, as when i had over taken a car (Yes was doing 110 on the F3 with my red p plates on big whoop) i merged back into the left hand lane and almost took out an L plater.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
The CCTV footage is pretty shocking:
Video - CCTV video of Kogarah crash - Sydney Morning Herald

In a way a feel sorry for the driver, she's come from a ****ed up situation in Sudan and now this has happened. She probably feel cursed. She's reported to have gotten out of the car screaming, ripped her hair out and smashed her head on the sidewalk till the police arrived.

On the other hand, she killed someone, and kept her license, which just boggles the mind that this would be allowed to happen. Her lawyer argued she had an "unspecified mental condition", which apparently saved her license (though I doubt she'll be in a hurry to use it, or anyone in a hurry to supervise). Why should you get to keep driving because you're deemed to be mental? Isn't that just MORE of a reason you SHOULDN'T drive?! I don't get it...

zerodown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SSII A4, VSII CLUBSPORT M5
A comparison between bugs and the beating's, murder and rape this woman would have most likely witnessed in her past is quite poor form imo.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I hate to bring a racial element into this, but, i'd like to see what would have happened if the lady driving were white. Sorry to say it, but the way i see it, is they are only letting her keep her license because she is Sudanese and obviously not of white descent. There has been alot of controversy surrounding the Sudanese / African community in the last year, i kind of see this as a way of keeping tensions down between the white people of Australia and the Sudanese / African community of Australia.

Almost like a peace offering, otherwise "they" would be at risk of being labelled "racist" towards her because they feel victimised in Australia.