Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] Hooking LEDs into dome light switch

BAW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ exec
Hi guys, just writing this for another how-to im working on, which is big enough at the moment, so putting this in separately.

Basically if you want to hook up LEDs (footwells, doors, boot, etc) (or any other acceptable device for the interior lights circuit) to the dome light switch, this is how.
The result is the LEDs (or other device) will be on/off/door controlled by the dome switch. They will mimic the function of the dome light/s.
Note this is based on the VZ, other models may work but might have different cable colours or orders.

Remove the sunglasses holder or dome light (depending what you have)
I also removed the 4 silver screws to get the light assembly off of the rest of the holder.

SYiglyr.jpg

Now because I have LED BA9s, my wiring is reversed and has a bit of extension wire (yellow/green). You can ignore this. The important part is the red cables coming off the lights. These join and go into port #2 in the plug. I don’t know where it goes from there (probably links up with rear courtesy lights), but at some point it comes back in at port #3 (other red wire). This goes down to the dome switch on prong #1. From the switch, the middle prong (blue wire) is for ‘door mode’, and prong #3 (white wire) is for ‘always on’.

Splice the LEDs positive lead/s into the orange/black interior lighting wire. You can access this orange/black wire at the plug that hangs from the roof, or from the drivers kick panel (see https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...dnt-find-what-i-looking-5.194995/post-2203039)
Your negative lead/s from your LEDs or other device needs to splice into one of the red wires in the photo above. I personally spliced the red wire between the plug and switch. I don’t see why you couldn’t splice in the other red wire, but the one that actually joins to the switch made more sense and works.

And thats it, your LEDs or other device are now controlled by the dome switch and will mimic the on/off/door function of the dome lights.

a word of warning; try at your own risk. also i dont know what the rating is on the dome switch. it may be less than the 10A, so be careful not to overload it.

Last edited: