Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Calais Dome Light always on

trozzadozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
G'day legends, I've run into a dome light problem with my 01 VX Calais. I bought the vehicle about 2 months ago, and the dome light never worked. Last week I decided to have a look at it. It didn't have a bulb in it, so I put one in. And the dome light doesn't turn off. No matter the position of the switch, the light is always on. The key barrel and drivers footwell light is pretty much always on as well. And possibly the boot interior light is on as well. Although the courtesy door lights do turn off when the doors are shut. If anyone can point me in the right direction to fix this, that would be much apricated.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Perhaps headlight switch is worn where dome light lever is, and bulb removed as they knew of of problem. Also check that it doesn't have the separate dome light button in centre of dash like is seen on the police option cars BT1 and the later code.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
go through all interior and remove all the LED bulbs

trozzadozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
I'll go through and see if there are any led bulbs in the car. I'm not quite sure about the headlight switch, as it has the auto function and I don't know if it does anything with dome light

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I thought you could slide the dimmer lever into furthest notch would activate dome light, might be thinking of another model/switch.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
I thought you could slide the dimmer lever into furthest notch would activate dome light, might be thinking of another model/switch.
Sliding the dimmer switch only affects the illumination of the instrument cluster. It doesn't affect whether the interior light comes on or not.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll go through and see if there are any led bulbs in the car. I'm not quite sure about the headlight switch, as it has the auto function and I don't know if it does anything with dome light
I have my lights on auto most of the time and the interior light goes on and off like normal.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
1. Check the door light switches. You could have one or more misaligned doors or a broken (snapped off) or faulty door switch that is not depressing when the door is closed, telling the car to put the interior light on. Door switch looks like this (cleanliness of car may vary):
1704312011321.png
1704312089654.png

(Driver's door)......................................................................................................................(Back door)
Go around and open each door one by one and try pressing the switch in yourself and see if that turns the light off.

2. Check wiring to same. Fairly obvious this one.
3. Switch on the interior light might be worn out. Borrow a mate's one and install it and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, keep your mate's one
4. Replace the relevant relay under the bonnet. It could be stuck open.
5. Less likely possibilities - BCM or ignition.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
@RiffRaffMama
baby steps, op has just bought car
start with easy, then switches, then wiring, then exotic