Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Top secret: HSV VF-Series

Reaper is offline Tells it like it is.
    Ride
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS

Default Top secret: HSV VF-Series

Top secret: HSV VF-Series

HSV is refusing to even confirm the existence of the all-new VF-Commodore based range that is due in dealerships next year.

While Holden has confirmed the imminent arrival and model code of the heavily revised Commodore that will also be exported to the United States as a Chevrolet, HSV’s executives won’t even acknowledge there’s a fresh model in the pipeline.

“No comment,” is the most the company will say publically about the crucial new model that is expected to bring a new generation engine with significantly more power than the current 6.2-litre V8.

Australians will get a glimpse of the new VF Commodore later this year when the Nascar racing version is unveiled in the US. The VF is expected to be unveiled in February 2013.

HSV executives are understood to be quietly annoyed that Holden executives – and their General Motors counterparts - have been relatively open about developments with the upcoming VF Commodore, although their hands have been forced by the imminent export program that Americans are keen to pre-promote.

The new HSV range is believed to be getting a new V8 engine, with intense speculation pointing towards the supercharged 6.2-litre V8 shown last year in the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 as the most likely option for the new VF-based HSV range.

More: HSV revives cheaper models

Producing up to 410kW of power – 26 per cent more than the current 325kW performance heroes in the HSV range - it’s a significant step up and would overtake the rival Falcon GT, which makes 335kW of power from its 5.0-litre supercharged V8.

It’s not known whether an updated version of the existing 6.2-litre V8 will continue on some models.

Dealers say the new HSV range should arrive between August and October next year.

The new HSV range will benefit from the increased use of aluminium on the donor VF Commodore it will be based on, presumably leading to a lighter body that will aid handling, performance and fuel use.

Also expect more in the way of high-tech features, with Holden confirming the new VF Commodore will get “significant technology”, some of which is expected to include consumer-friendly connectivity as well as other features currently reserved for luxury cars, such as radar cruise control and auto braking.

HSV is also said to be working on a race car-like transaxle (a gearbox mounted on the rear axle) to increase differentiation from the regular Commodores.

Another unanswered question is what the new VF-based HSV range will be called.

When the VY-based Commodore arrived in 2002 the company changed its naming policy to a more European-style system that relied on the last letter. The Y-Series was later replaced by the Z-Series (based on the VZ Commodore) and, from 2006, the E-Series (based on the VE Commodore).

With the VF the nomenclature would logically be the F-Series. Except that the F-Series is the name of an extremely popular Ford in the US – and a truck, no less.

Again, no comment from HSV.

Let the games begin…

Top secret: HSV VF-Series

Reapers 300rwkw Daily Work Hack

Reapers Black VP SS

Quote Originally Posted by skruba View Post
    practice makes perfect dude i was (still am) my bros guinea pig,he has been tattooing for near 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAKSTER View Post
    Reaper is right

Ride
    2003 VY2 SS

This new model sounds promising, hopefully marginally better than the VE range...

I like the part about the new VF's producing 410kw's of power should be a thrill and a half to drive

Ride
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS

Yeah. The trans axle has been known for a while. This is the first I've heard of the blower. 400+kw sounds high to me. I'd suspect OEM would be 350(ish) but it'd be ripe for the aftermarket boys to dial in more boost . GTS only from what I hear. I'd like it to be available on the Senator too.

Reaper

Reapers Black VP SS

practice makes perfect dude i was (still am) my bros guinea pig,he has been tattooing for near 2 years.
    Reaper is right

davey g-force is offline I'm a sceptic...
    Ride
    Phantom MY09 VE SSV A6 & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7

Sounds promising.

Agree that 410 kW sounds too high - just PR hype IMO.

I reckon it'll be 10 or so kW more than the Falcon GT, so HSV can claim bragging rights, but still have room to move later...
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy711 View Post
    I saw a VW Beetle today... with its 4 wheels it reminded me of a VF.

Ride
    Ve r8 , B2600

Ride
    Evoke VE HSV GTS 6.0 auto, XR6 turbo ute.

Both the trans axle, and supercharger have been run in the Corvette for a while, so no big issue there.
    Corvette pokes out over 600hp, so 400kw not over the moon.
    Will be interesting though.
    1978 Chev Pickup, LS1 going in at the moment. Up and running

Ride
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Johnston View Post
    Both the trans axle, and supercharger have been run in the Corvette for a while, so no big issue there.
    Corvette pokes out over 600hp, so 400kw not over the moon.
    Will be interesting though.
    Transaxle in a 2 door sports coupe is one thing. Fitting it to a large 4 door sedan designed for a traditional diff setup is entirely different. In thinking it thru - I'd hope they wouldn't pinch some space from the fuel tanks.

Reaper

Reapers Black VP SS

Reaper is right

Ride
    Evoke VE HSV GTS 6.0 auto, XR6 turbo ute.

Do you think we will ever see the Monaro/GTS 2 door theme again?? Would be interesting to see something different
    to the normal 4 door hot up.
    1978 Chev Pickup, LS1 going in at the moment. Up and running

Ride
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Johnston View Post
    Do you think we will ever see the Monaro/GTS 2 door theme again?? Would be interesting to see something different
    to the normal 4 door hot up.
    Nope. Well not in the foreseeable future anyway. Our best hope was for the Camaro which was engineered LHD/RHD but Vauxhill and other divisions in RHD countries would not commit to large enough volumes thus the whole RHD program was shelved. IIRC Holden forecast sales in the high hundreds/low thousands which doesn't make the project viable. The Monaro project we saw in the VT-Z range was really a fluke of being in the right place, right time.

Reaper

Reapers Black VP SS

Reaper is right

Ride
    vr berlina

410kw. sounds like its gonna shut up a lot of the ford lovers
    I really doubt they would use the same 6.2l though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)