Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Top secret: HSV VF-Series

Discussion in 'News/Updates' started by Reaper, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS

HSV is refusing to even confirm the existence of the all-new VF-Commodore based range that is due in dealerships next year.

While Holden has confirmed the imminent arrival and model code of the heavily revised Commodore that will also be exported to the United States as a Chevrolet, HSV’s executives won’t even acknowledge there’s a fresh model in the pipeline.

“No comment,” is the most the company will say publically about the crucial new model that is expected to bring a new generation engine with significantly more power than the current 6.2-litre V8.

Australians will get a glimpse of the new VF Commodore later this year when the Nascar racing version is unveiled in the US. The VF is expected to be unveiled in February 2013.

HSV executives are understood to be quietly annoyed that Holden executives – and their General Motors counterparts - have been relatively open about developments with the upcoming VF Commodore, although their hands have been forced by the imminent export program that Americans are keen to pre-promote.

The new HSV range is believed to be getting a new V8 engine, with intense speculation pointing towards the supercharged 6.2-litre V8 shown last year in the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 as the most likely option for the new VF-based HSV range.

More: HSV revives cheaper models

Producing up to 410kW of power – 26 per cent more than the current 325kW performance heroes in the HSV range - it’s a significant step up and would overtake the rival Falcon GT, which makes 335kW of power from its 5.0-litre supercharged V8.

It’s not known whether an updated version of the existing 6.2-litre V8 will continue on some models.

Dealers say the new HSV range should arrive between August and October next year.

The new HSV range will benefit from the increased use of aluminium on the donor VF Commodore it will be based on, presumably leading to a lighter body that will aid handling, performance and fuel use.

Also expect more in the way of high-tech features, with Holden confirming the new VF Commodore will get “significant technology”, some of which is expected to include consumer-friendly connectivity as well as other features currently reserved for luxury cars, such as radar cruise control and auto braking.

HSV is also said to be working on a race car-like transaxle (a gearbox mounted on the rear axle) to increase differentiation from the regular Commodores.

Another unanswered question is what the new VF-based HSV range will be called.

When the VY-based Commodore arrived in 2002 the company changed its naming policy to a more European-style system that relied on the last letter. The Y-Series was later replaced by the Z-Series (based on the VZ Commodore) and, from 2006, the E-Series (based on the VE Commodore).

With the VF the nomenclature would logically be the F-Series. Except that the F-Series is the name of an extremely popular Ford in the US – and a truck, no less.

Again, no comment from HSV.

Let the games begin…

[​IMG]

2. HERONVY

HERONVY New Member

Members Ride:
    2003 VY2 SS
    This new model sounds promising, hopefully marginally better than the VE range...

I like the part about the new VF's producing 410kw's of power :) should be a thrill and a half to drive

3. Reaper

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    Yeah. The trans axle has been known for a while. This is the first I've heard of the blower. 400+kw sounds high to me. I'd suspect OEM would be 350(ish) but it'd be ripe for the aftermarket boys to dial in more boost :dance:. GTS only from what I hear. I'd like it to be available on the Senator too.

Reaper

4. davey g-force

davey g-force I'm a sceptic...

Members Ride:
    02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
    Sounds promising.

Agree that 410 kW sounds too high - just PR hype IMO.

I reckon it'll be 10 or so kW more than the Falcon GT, so HSV can claim bragging rights, but still have room to move later...

5. Potta9

Potta9 New Member

Members Ride:
    Ve r8 , B2600
    Hmmm transaxle I like alot!

6. Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston Active Member

Members Ride:
    2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
    Both the trans axle, and supercharger have been run in the Corvette for a while, so no big issue there.
    Corvette pokes out over 600hp, so 400kw not over the moon.
    Will be interesting though.

7. Reaper

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    Transaxle in a 2 door sports coupe is one thing. Fitting it to a large 4 door sedan designed for a traditional diff setup is entirely different. In thinking it thru - I'd hope they wouldn't pinch some space from the fuel tanks.

Reaper

8. Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston Active Member

Members Ride:
    2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
    Do you think we will ever see the Monaro/GTS 2 door theme again?? Would be interesting to see something different
    to the normal 4 door hot up.

9. Reaper

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    Nope. Well not in the foreseeable future anyway. Our best hope was for the Camaro which was engineered LHD/RHD but Vauxhill and other divisions in RHD countries would not commit to large enough volumes thus the whole RHD program was shelved. IIRC Holden forecast sales in the high hundreds/low thousands which doesn't make the project viable. The Monaro project we saw in the VT-Z range was really a fluke of being in the right place, right time.

Reaper

10. lil_josh

lil_josh New Member

Members Ride:
    vr berlina
    410kw. sounds like its gonna shut up a lot of the ford lovers:D
    I really doubt they would use the same 6.2l though.

11. CALAIS08V8

CALAIS08V8 Scott

Members Ride:
    Calais V V8 60th
    They might use the 5.5 litre 330kw V8 that was tipped to go into the Corvette C7 ?

12. jacko2

jacko2 New Member

Members Ride:
    VY 2 clubby
    I don't think it would, stock some of those FPV engines are pulling 360RWKW without a tune, after tune and exhaust regular numbers between 390-430 RWKW. They are a weapon for what they are and alot of people on here are stuck in the holden mindset that because it's a ford its crap.

I hope holden do bring a supercharged version over for us to enjoy, HSV need to reply with something to FPV and it looks like we might just be lucky enough to see it happen

13. splcrazy

splcrazy New Member

Members Ride:
    HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
    it needs 410kw so it can move better from all the soaked water in its carpets from all the water leaks they expect to get in it

14. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Bro it's a VW your Audi!

Members Ride:
    Berlina V6
    What's funny about that is the I6 still sat right on it's door and it wasn't with 300 at the wheels it was stock.

15. immortality

immortality Donating Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
  16. gradz

gradz Land Yacht Lover

Members Ride:
    WH Grange (Daily)
    I hope they get the car looking better than the crap they served up with the VE. I own an old HSV and love it to pieces, but I can't take the Starwars crap they have dished up over the last few years. Sooooo over the top.

17. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    Modelled on the Rebel Blockade Runner (Corellian Corvette), SS VE is, hmmmmmm.
    [​IMG]
    Rule Star Wars does. OK, hmmm.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  18. Reaper

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    What HSV do you own?

Reaper

19. jacko2

jacko2 New Member