Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

‘Pre oiling’ New Oil Filter

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Hi all,
Just a quick one because I have been searching around for an answer for this.

How do you pre oil a new oil filter for sv6/ alloytec? Do you put oil in the large inner hole? Do you splash the side? Do you just not do anything?

I know with the Buick/ ecotec oil filter (forgot the name of that filter type) you fill a bit of oil in it and then install it.

Sorry for this dumb question as I don’t know about the Alloytec oil filter type.

Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It should get oil pressure before the film is wiped. I wouldn't bother on my LS if it wasn't as easy at it is.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Can't hurt to chuck the filter in, top up the filter housing with some oil before refitting the oil filter housing top.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Can't hurt to chuck the filter in, top up the filter housing with some oil before refitting the oil filter housing top.
Come to think of it there’s probably no reason you couldn’t just fill the engine with oil from the filter housing.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Cheers all.

So, after a few YouTube videos regarding car oil changes, I hear that the engine should be ‘primed’ to build oil pressure. Does that simply mean turning the ignition a few times without the engine starting?

Cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Yes, which might be difficult to do without the engine starting, unless you remove the fuel pump fuse (or equivalent for VE).

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
May be refering to dipping your finger in the new oil and giving the seal on the new filter a quick little wipe to wet it, after making sure the mating surface is cle1an, just before you fit it. So the seal doesn't pinch or tear in any way. It's what I do to every filter.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It comes down to where the filter is. You can easily fill a solid filter that fits underneath the engine whereas a cartridge up top isn't really an option. You'd have to fill the engine to the brim with oil. As for priming, if you're doing it correctly it's off the back of warming it up and letting it cool a little so you're only really changing what's in the sump. There will still be oil in galleries, the pump, cam, rings and bearings. Not much different to it sitting overnight and firing up in the morning. Pressure will build in a few seconds

Brand new builds need priming because there's no oil anywhere and it might be 20 seconds before there is

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
It comes down to where the filter is. You can easily fill a solid filter that fits underneath the engine whereas a cartridge up top isn't really an option. You'd have to fill the engine to the brim with oil. As for priming, if you're doing it correctly it's off the back of warming it up and letting it cool a little so you're only really changing what's in the sump. There will still be oil in galleries, the pump, cam, rings and bearings. Not much different to it sitting overnight and firing up in the morning. Pressure will build in a few seconds

Brand new builds need priming because there's no oil anywhere and it might be 20 seconds before there is
Cheers for your insightful response mate.