Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

01 vx s/c

jasisonfire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S/C 3.8L
hi guys. i have a 2001 model vx commdore with the l67 engine. at the times the car would have a very loud whineing noise coming from what seems to be the supercharger. at idle when i rev the car when it has the whineing noise it would get louder then when it goes away the whole engine would miss fire a bit and jerk. could anyone help me with this problem? thanks alot, jason

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
The Superchargers do make a Whine sound. But if its standard, shouldnt be very loud. Just a slight whine on heavy acceleration.
1. Check the S/Charger oil level. (When Cold). The oil should be sitting just on the bottom threads of the oil Screw plug.
2. Maybe it needs a new Belt.
3. Tighten the Supercharger bolts a little (They can loosen over time).
4. Also Tighten the Intake Manifold Bolts as well. (Not too tight. just so they grip and a little more).
5. Check that the Boost Solenoid is functioning. While the engine is running, and with the bonnet up, Pull the accelerator Cable with your hand and check that the Vacuum solenoid is Moving with heavy acceleration. (It should move in and out or vice versa) If not make sure the Hose is connected to it.
6. Check all your Vacuum hoses around the engine and make sure they are all in place.

Hope these tips help out.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Wouldn't be the power steering pump? Have you noticed any fluid from behind the p/s pump pulley?

jasisonfire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S/C 3.8L
thanks for all your help. i re-tension all the bolts and checked all the oil level in the supercharger. the noise seem to be gone for now. oxtech007 yeah i know they do make a whine sound. but this sound was very very loud and didnt sound healthy. but like i said its gone now. thanks again for all your help guys. jason