Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

03 VY Manual S Ute

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
Model:
- VY S Ute

Colour:
- Black

Interior:
- Original (At the time of post)

Exterior:
- Full SS Kit Fitted
- SS Foglights Fitted
- Genuine Hardlid
- 18" Genuine Monaro CV8Z wheels (At the time of post)
- Genuine Plastic Tubliner

Gearbox:
M35 5 Speed Getrag

Kilometres:
- 198,XXX (At the time of this post)

Suspension:
- SL front springs
- Rear airbags (Drop in Slam Bags, Air Ride Bag kit) lowered kyb shocks
Nicest riding lowered car ive driven

Sound:
- Kenwood Double Din DVD Screen
- Phoenix Gold Door Speakers (Sound Amazing!)

Engine:
- Standard

Mods:
- Gauge pod with Air gauge (for bags) and an autometer phantom volts gauge
- Custom catback, I just fitted Pacemaker Extractors has a nice note for a v6 with a ton of crackle

Future Mods:
- Maybe change rear bags to bolt in and get it engineered
- Fit a damn short shifter cannot stand the original shifters in these cars!
- Find a nice set of VY GTS or VZ Clubsport wheels
- Fit leather trim or HSV trim or VE Maloo trim

So ive had the car for around 2 weeks now (my first ute also) and I must say im loving it! I swapped my cammed manual VY SS for this (bit of cash my way also) as I still have 2 years of p's left. Got the car, fitted up a volts gauge as I didn't like staring at the hole on the gauge pod. Scored Tubliner off my uncles good mate for nothing, I was originally going to leave the exhaust as it was (custom catback). But sounded like a dying animal when giving it a bit of gas, so I got myself some pacemakers, fitted them up, I knew the cat on the y piece I got with the extractors was gutted and hoped it wouldn't sound like a pile of crap! But boy was I wrong! so took it to my local exhaust shop had him cut my original y piece to suit and use existing flanges (I cant weld otherwise I would have done it). Sounds amazing now. Overall im real happy with the car, is originally from NSW and still has all receipts dating back to when Holdens warranty servicing ran out. Like my old VT (Ill include the link at the bottom) ill slowly start to do things here and there, no rush to modify it and drain the bank account straight away.

VT: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-vu-wh-v2/220578-vt-s-pac-ii-tiga-mica.html

11140073_467725400060729_7651899454751008946_n.jpgvyute.jpgvyute1.jpgvyute2.jpgvyute3.jpg

Here's some photo's of my old SS I swapped for the ute
vy22.jpgvy11.jpgss7.jpgss8.jpg

Some details of the SS: Factory red leather, red cluster, 6 speed manual, ex pursuit car, 219/233 cam package, had a LPG liquid injection gas set up also ran on 98 premium, pacemaker 4 into 1's twin 3" hi flow cats twin xforce 2.5'' catback,upgraded sound system. made 249rwkw on petrol 241rwkw on gas. Car was only on a run in tune, with original 3.46 lsd diff.

Last edited:

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
Oh man what was the reasoning for swapping the SS? That is a dam nice car!

I especially like it cos it's a manual LPG. Just like mine. Nothing like filling up for $35 and not feeling guilty giving it a bootfull at every given opportunity Haha.

Did you need a Ute for work or did the SS have issues?

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
Well being on Probationary 2 for another 2 years I couldn't afford to be pulled over in the 8. I could of purchased a daily but I didn't want to pay two registrations. So I decided to sell it, but just got absolutely insulting offers. I saw the ute pop up and the bloke was after a manual 8 ute, but I messaged him a few details of the car, and we met up a few days later, and ended up swapping that weekend. The ute just comes in handy, though im still adjusting going from 5 seats to 2. I don't really need it for work (I'm currently undertaking a Diploma of Business) but it does work to my advantage for my mechanical work I do at home. If I need to go get parts, pick up items that just wouldn't fit in your sedan or wagon without dirtying or ruining the interior. Though I spotted this when I was installing the extractors last weekend, the bleeding nipple for the clutch has been snapped off (I'm assuming someone has over tightened it). Ill get under the car again sometime this weekend coming, hopefully I can just replace the actual screw itself and not an entire slave cylinder.

Hopefully in the coming years I can work out my next 8 project (hopefully a VN ls1/2 conversion, or VK). But until that time, ill get the ute where im happy with it. I was going to put a double hump hardlid on last weekend, but to much spending at this stage haha.

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
So I spent my sunday morning/afternoon under the car and bonnet. Gave her a nice major service, oil/oil filter, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, cleaned throttle body, new battery terminals, replaced and sealed thermostat properly as whom ever did it previously did a wogjob and it was leaking (thermostat that I pulled out was still fairly new so im keeping it for a spare). bleed the cooling system, had to change the stripped sump plug (had a fun time getting that off), degreased underneath and gave it a nice clean over as Ive flicked mud up all underneath from parking on the wet grass at home. Next on the hit list is o2 sensors and maybe some new leads, I need to replace the oil pressure switch but I will leave that for the time being until I buy and wire up an oil pressure gauge. The previous owners have spared no expense on the car as the glove box is full of receipts dating back to 2005/2006, Unfortunately the Holden dealership (in NSW) didn't fill out the service book, however the receipts are all there.

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Hey mate, ute looks good, any updates?:)

I'm quite interested in this...
Rear airbags (Drop in Slam Bags, Air Ride Bag kit)
Just wondering how much, where from and is it illegal/need to be engineered...?

Haven't got a ute yet, but looking at VY manual utes just like you've got :)

Cheers

EDIT found this website http://www.rollow.com.au/#!price-list/c1zo4 is this right?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
For memory rear bags can be treated as load assisting and don't have to be engineered. Fronts must though, and it does vary state to state.

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Awesome, if I were to get some it would only be the rear (need a ute first though lol) but providing they aren't to expensive or else it will just be springs haha

R

Risky

That's a nice clean ute. I do like the SS and it was a pity you had to sell it.

If you're after leather seats & trim good luck. It took me 8 months to find the seats I was looking for. My originals were the blue material as opposed to your red. I've seen seats on ebay located in Victoria but they are very pricey & the condition is average. If you find seats from a VZ, remember the plugs need to be changed.

If you're after rims see Wheeldemon https://www.wheeldemon.com.au/. They supply Holden with OEM rims & have aftermarket ones. My local Holden dealer put me onto these guys & that's going to be a project for next year. They do VE & VF's to fit the VT-VZ series.