Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

05 VZ Executive......Jerking around 90km and lower?

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Ok, so basically car has been running fine, however, I recently took out the needles to install a new cluster face, and today my REV's needle was stationary....all other needles were working fine. (not sure if this is related to the issue, I'm just stating it incase it is, but I doubt it).

I find whenever the auto trans is settled into a gear (say 3rd when going 50km, or 4th when going 90km) and I go to accelerate very lightly (so it doesn't drop a gear) - The whole car jerks, like it wants to go but can't.... it also makes a noise like you're running over those reflectors in the middle of the road (yes my tyres are pumped up).

Is this the gear slipping? Best bet to take it to a specialized gear box mechanic? Or just to a general mechanic?

Any ideas?

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
For the cluster, chances are there's something wrong with the wiring connecting your new cluster up, try putting the old one back in?

As for the transmission...most mechanics should have a fair idea with gearbox's so just get your usual guy to have a glance at it...maybe even get him to drive it around so he has an idea of what it is your having problems with.

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Yeah, not fussed about the cluster, it's the same cluster, just new face (so had to remove the needles, I'll just resit the rev one when I have time - as it could be rubbing)

When for another drive today, this time, windows down and I was in FIRST gear, I put my foot down (not all the way, but a good boot) and as I took off, I got a loud "doof Doof" noise from the exhaust (aftermarket) and corresponding to that noise the car jerked....

So now I'm thinking diff/tailshaft? or still the box you reckon?

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
reporting back on this, it seems to be jerking/misfiring at low RPM.....

Seems like it COULD be the 02 sensors.....doesn't seem to be running on 3 cyl as it still has guts, but not at low RPM (as it misfires). And no error codes.

Any way to confirm?

MY VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i think o2 sensors are only there for fuel economy. could it have anything to do with your cats, are they blocked?

bak123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Hey, I had exactly the same issue. Three mechanics and several hundreds of dollars late, I have had the o2 sensors replaced and its running like a new car.